Paralegal from hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach1busta

My friend hired a lawyer for a Real estate Transaction. The lawyer would fail to call the client and had the paralegal do everything. All parties were agreed to push for a closing before Thanksgiving. The paralegal who has a power issue did not find it suitable for her and made excuses and never gave direct answers to the client. So the client fired the services of the lawyer and went with another one who would be able to complete the job. Now they are charging her $1200 for a closing they did not even complete. They are now demanding payment by close of business today or they will charge an additional $500 to go to the closing.

Look in the contract with the initial lawyer on their boards or recognized mediators for such issues. If it is not on the contract, contact the local bar association for help. Most lawyers have recognized mediators for such issues. You can even ask advice from your current lawyer. Try that before thinking of a filling a case.

My friend hired a lawyer for a Real estate Transaction. The lawyer would fail to call the client and had the paralegal do everything. All parties were agreed to push for a closing before Thanksgiving. The paralegal who has a power issue did not find it suitable for her and made excuses and never gave direct answers to the client. So the client fired the services of the lawyer and went with another one who would be able to complete the job. Now they are charging her $1200 for a closing they did not even complete. They are now demanding payment by close of business today or they will charge an additional $500 to go to the closing.

I would sue this lawyer for malpractice. First of all, a paralegal has no authority whatsoever in law.

Legal malpractice is a national epidemic, as has been recognixed by former Chief Justice Warren Burger who has been quoted as saying that 75% off all lawyers are "dishonest or incompetent". ( I assume the other 25% are both)

Lawyers can and do get pressured for cash and settle cases too low. Massachusetts courts now permit lawyers to be sued for settling cases too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back