Consumer Law, Warranties Pam T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamie

Husband & I bought a sofa, only he signed the contract. We didn't get a copy of the contract or any explanation of the term 'no finance charges for 12 months if paid full", there was no explanation about what the contract said. My husband died 9 months later, but before he died we tried to return the sofa because we were having problems with the materials etc. The problems with the sofa began 2 weeks after we received it. Is the wife liable for the paying for the sofa? I am still having problems with the company, trying to get this resolved. Nothing about the purchase was explained. I don't even know where to send the money or to who.

Husband & I bought a sofa, only he signed the contract. We didn't get a copy of the contract or any explanation of the term 'no finance charges for 12 months if paid full", there was no explanation about what the contract said. My husband died 9 months later, but before he died we tried to return the sofa because we were having problems with the materials etc. The problems with the sofa began 2 weeks after we received it. Is the wife liable for the paying for the sofa? I am still having problems with the company, trying to get this resolved. Nothing about the purchase was explained. I don't even know where to send the money or to who.

Please, accept my condolences upon the recent loss of your husband.

If things are as you say, "Husband & I bought a sofa, only he signed the contract.", yes, you're liable, with a great big MAYBE.
If it indeed, a joint debt, MAYBE.
If only HE signed it, its his debt.
If you don't know where to send the payment, its more than likely his debt.
If they want their money, they'll contact him, and then you can read the bill or letter.
That'll give you more information, with which you can make a better choice.
If he was solely responsible, its his debt.
Frankly, why worry?
You should be grieving.
Why worry about a useless sofa.
Make yourself happy, buy yourself a nice new sofa.
Or, enjoy (as best you can), the sofa hubby bought.

Again, I wish you well upon the passing of your husband.

Last edited:
Since Washington is a community property state & purchase was during your marriage, you might very well be responsible.

If you re not responsible for the debt, his estate is. The executor should pay them first and you get to inherit the crappy couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back