PA: Alleged 90 in 55...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolDrum3

I was recently issued a ticket for 90 in a 55 on I-476 in Pennsylvania. I am pleading not guilty and waiting for a court date. I have no doubt that I probably was speeding. However, I do not think I was going THAT fast, I don't think my truck is capable of it! The trooper did not shoot me with radar or laser, but rather clocked (or paced me). I'm hoping to at least argue the fine/and or points down.

My defense: I saw the trooper pull on the turnpike (I-476) behind me at the same interchange, mile marker 31. He ticketed me shortly after traveling down the turnpike at mile marker 27.8. I would not willingly speed to 90 mph after entering the freeway when I was aware there was a state trooper behind me (pretty common sense I would say). There was little traffic in the area which I was traveling at the time of the infraction, so guaging my speed based upon passing cars was not a signal to me that I was traveling to fast. That being the case, I can honestly say that I was not aware of the speed at which I was traveling and would not even have noticed the trooper signaling behind me if I had not happened to glance in my rear view mirror at that time. I was preoccupied with other things on my mind, mainly the death of my father 2 weeks before (I have a death certificate to prove it and will take it as evidence). While this does not excuse my transgression of the traffic laws, given my state of mind at the time, I wish to plead guilty to the lesser offense of "failure to obey posted trafic controls".

Does this seem too far-fetched and like a plea for pity, or a some-what reasonable excuse? It IS all true, not some fabricated story to beg for pity. Do I have a chance or am I just screwed? Since it was more than 30 (35 actually)above the speed limit, I would receive 5 points and have to attend a hearing if I just plead guilty as it stands.

Given the speed (and your rational), it is probably best you contact a lawyer to minimize the damages.

Sounds like you have had enough stress in your life recently so keep in mind the lawyer can minimize this also, you may not even need to appear in court.

Most lawyers will give an initial consultation and estimate for free so make a couple of calls to find out.

I'm not familiar with PA but 35 over is pretty serious in most areas so your insurance is likely to more than double at least the next three years if convicted of the full charge.

Wow, they really stick it to you! I guess it doesn't matter that I have a clear record before this little problem...

A clear record will make it more likely to have the charges reduced (the first time...). This should make the charges from the lawyer lower.

Hopefully, I can find a reasonably priced lawyer. I have to wait until I get a court date before I can do anything though. How long do they usually take to give you a date? I sent the not guilty plea and collateral in over a week ago. Also, if they delay my court date for some time, is there a statute of limitations? Lastly, if I plea not guilty now, and they take awhile to give me my court date, are the points assessed and cause my insurance to start going up now, or do they not take any action until a ruling is made?

Also, if they delay my court date for some time, is there a statute of limitations?

They have two years.

Nothing is entered on your MVR until the court proceedings are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back