Consumer Law, Warranties overpayment of public assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrinam1

The State if Illinois filed a claim against me on 10/27/2010 for overpayment of child support. The overpayment supposedly occured in 1995. I provided them with letters from companies that they claimed I worked for during the time I received assistance but they have been putting me off since. Is there a statue of limitations that this conflicts with? This happened 16 years ago.

The State if Illinois filed a claim against me on 10/27/2010 for overpayment of child support. The overpayment supposedly occured in 1995. I provided them with letters from companies that they claimed I worked for during the time I received assistance but they have been putting me off since. Is there a statue of limitations that this conflicts with? This happened 16 years ago.

When the government wants what they believe to be their money, they won't let legalities stand in their way.

They'll be back.

They haven't forgotten about you.

They won't forget about you.

That is unfortunately quite correct. However I'm curious, AJ - could laches be used as a defense to this?

That is unfortunately quite correct. However I'm curious, AJ - could laches be used as a defense to this?

Laches (unreasonable delay in pursuing a matter) could be a creative defense.

Laches is most applied in actions based in equity.

I don't think the government's pursuit of what they believe to be theirs is an equitable matter.

As usual, you have your thinking cap, Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back