Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Outstanding warrant

904life

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I have an outstanding warrant from 10yrs ago. I am now a mother and have turned my life around. I want to turn myself in but don't have the money for bail or my lawyer. But I absolutely cannot go to jail because I have to take care of my daughter and will not risk having her taken away. Is there any help for my situation? What can I do? And is there anything I can do now that will help my situation with the courts in the mean time?

Is there any help for my situation?

Not as far as what you wish to do, avoid being incarcerated.

What can I do?

You can talk to a bail bonding company and ask what bail would be for someone charged with the crime which haunts you.

What can I do? And is there anything I can do now that will help my situation with the courts in the mean time?

You can arrange to turn yourself in with the detective in charge of your case, or the prosecutor.

If you can show ties to the community (you can with the 10 years you've lived a crime free life).

You also have a child which shows some stability.

You can agree to wear an ankle monitor if you're released on your signature, or bail.

If you get responsible, respected members of the community to write letters in support of your being bailed out, that also helps.

Now, the flip side is this.

You will eventually be caught.

If usually happens at a very inconvenient time, as in a long holiday weekend.

It happens when the people who could help with your child are out of town.

If you were the victim of an automobile collision, your name will be run, and you'll be outed.

You are lucky to have made it for 10 years.

The down side of that is, the computer never forgets, the warrant will never disappear until you are held accountable before their bar of justice.

Not as far as what you wish to do, avoid being incarcerated.

You can talk to a bail bonding company and ask what bail would be for someone charged with the crime which haunts you.

You can arrange to turn yourself in with the detective in charge of your case, or the prosecutor.

If you can show ties to the community (you can with the 10 years you've lived a crime free life).

You also have a child which shows some stability.

You can agree to wear an ankle monitor if you're released on your signature, or bail.

If you get responsible, respected members of the community to write letters in support of your being bailed out, that also helps.

Now, the flip side is this.

You will eventually be caught.

If usually happens at a very inconvenient time, as in a long holiday weekend.

It happens when the people who could help with your child are out of town.

If you were the victim of an automobile collision, your name will be run, and you'll be outed.

You are lucky to have made it for 10 years.

The down side of that is, the computer never forgets, the warrant will never disappear until you are held accountable before their bar of justice.
I have made it this long because I have changed my life around. If I was still in that life style I wouldn't have. I also have many influential people I know in the community. But why would I ever want to turn myself in with the prosecutor or detective on my case? That doesn't seem like a wise idea to me! I know how much my bond is and I have spoken to a lawyer and it takes money money I don't have and can't get that's the problem.

Not all warrants result in an actual arrest. It sometimes depends on the offense, the bail amount, and policy of the local jurisdiction.

Frequently in my area a warrant is served by using a citation with a date to appear in court. This might be a possibility of your offense was a low level misdemeanor.

Have you spoken with a bail bondsman? You don't actually have to pay the amount on the warrant. Typically you pay a bondsman 10% or so.

The warrant is a ticking time bomb if it is something that will result in an actual arrest. You would be smart to handle it on your own terms when you are prepared for it.

I have made it this long because I have changed my life around. If I was still in that life style I wouldn't have. I also have many influential people I know in the community. But why would I ever want to turn myself in with the prosecutor or detective on my case? That doesn't seem like a wise idea to me! I know how much my bond is and I have spoken to a lawyer and it takes money money I don't have and can't get that's the problem.

You are free to choose what works bets for you.

You asked a question, I gave you the typical scenario.

You have eluded capture for TEN LONG YEARS.

You're clever, smart, cagey, and you don't need some know nothing dummy like me, with my useless law degree offering you FREE advice.

If you elude the long, muscular, hairy arm of the law for 100 years, all the better for you.

armofthelaw.jpg

No skin off my back, or food out of my belly.

You take care, and keep on keeping on, doing you.

Because...??? Because you failed to pay a parking ticket? Because you killed someone? Somewhere in between? Assessing your question requires knowing at least this.
It's a drug charge. When I got in trouble they never arrested me or pressed charges then I moved months later and that's when they decided to press charges. So they just issued a warrant. Shortly after I got pregnant had a baby and turned my life around my child is #1 to me and she has been attached to my hip I was a stay at home mom for 8 yrs he father and I recently split which forced the issue making me realize I can't do ANYTHING w this issue over my head.

You are free to choose what works bets for you.

You asked a question, I gave you the typical scenario.

You have eluded capture for TEN LONG YEARS.

You're clever, smart, cagey, and you don't need some know nothing dummy like me, with my useless law degree offering you FREE advice.

If you elude the long, muscular, hairy arm of the law for 100 years, all the better for you.

View attachment 1423

No skin off my back, or food out of my belly.

You take care, and keep on keeping on, doing you.
I just asked why would I do that?

If it was just a person or under the influence offense I bet you can avoid arrest pretty easily.
If it's for sales or something more serious then there may be custody time.

It's a drug charge.

"A drug charge" could be anything from possession a small quantity of marijuana to trafficking large quantities of a hard drug with intent to distribute, so you really haven't narrowed anything down. That aside, let's get back to your original questions:

Is there any help for my situation? What can I do? And is there anything I can do now that will help my situation with the courts in the mean time?

These are all rather vague questions, and there are lots of things you can do. The bottom line is that you have two basic choices: (1) continue to let this hang over your head; or (2) turn yourself in and hope for the best. No one on this or any other message board can provide any assurance that you won't be incarcerated and lose your child (at least temporarily). If that's not something you're willing to risk, then your choice is made. You can get more clarity about the situation by consulting with a criminal defense attorney, but you've poo-poo'd that as a possibility, so it seems that your choice is already made.

Back