Out of State Debt, Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeddyKGB3

I have a credit card debt of approx $1400 from 2002. I currently live in Minnesota, but credit card was applied for, used, and account closed while I was a resident of Nevada where the SOL is 4 years. In Minnesota the SOL is 6 years. As I am in the middle of these 2 SOL's, which one has jurisdiction, NV or MN? If I am sued in a MN court, does the NV SOL matter? Also, a new Collector has recently contacted me about this debt and is threatening to sue, they have since entered a mark on my credit report for a debt of $2800 with 0 paid. Can they enter this debt on my report legally even though the original debtor is still listed and the SOL has "run out"?

I am considering a debt consolidation company but they told me they will bring the accounts back to "current" status starting the 7 yr clock over again. I am very confused to if there is any benefit to that as the marks will be gone in less than 2 1/2 years.

All help will certainly be appreciated!

Thank You

Did anyone help

Did you ever get an answer? I'm in the exact same situation but my debt occured in KY with an SOL of 15 years and I have resided in California for 3 years.

i suggest that you declare identity theft and never cross state lines again.

i would also suugest that you contact the big 3 credit companies and tell them that if they don't clear your name, you will......oh i don't know.

contact an attorney immediately.

thanks,
upforgrabs
posts are opinion only and have no legal meaning whatsoever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back