original lease agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalphiap

I have lived in one side of a double for three years. My original lease states "renewable" as a termination date. Recently the home was sold and last Friday my new landloard handed me a letter stating changes in my original lease, such as that I could no longer have my dogs which was allowed by the original lease, and that I had to move by the 30 of June. What are my rights? I live in PA.

Last edited:
I don't have your lease. If your lease was already renewed for a certain period, the landlord has no ability to change the lease, at will, unless there is something that permits him/her to do so. The new owner will take the house subject to the terms of the lease and there is no early termination unless it is called for within the lease.

Now, if you are telling me that there is no time period specified, it may only be a month to month. However, you may disagree and the current land owner would have to evict you. Additionally, he cannot change the terms unless you have been given proper notice. As you have lived there 3 years, you might be able to make an argument that it was a yearly renewable lease at your option. Your landlord would have to take you to court and might, at most, be able to get a judgment but I'm not sure what damages there would be since this might be a bona-fide dispute with regard to the lease term.

You may wish to negotiate with the landlord and put any settlement in writing. The above might provide you with leverage. Then again, we don't know about the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back