F Visa OPT Application (Misdemeanor Charge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj1993

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hi everyone, first of all, thank you for your time and help! I am about to receive my master degree in May 2018 and currently in the process of applying for my OPT. I did have a misdemeanor B charge related to shoplifting back in 2011. The case was dismissed after I went through deferred adjudication and did probation for 6 months, since then I have not associate myself with any troubles and have went back to my home country and reapplied F-1 visa stamps back to the U.S. without any issue (I did confess the incident in all my visa interviews and was granted an approval). Now the issue comes to my OPT Application; the form itself required us to disclose all previous criminal histories, and I did planned to say "Yes" to the question and submit all related court documents in regards to my case.

My question comes down to, if anyone has dealt with similar situation and has successfully obtained the EAD approval? If so, how did the process went and how long did it take you to receive the EAD approval?

Thank you once again!

I am about to receive my master degree in May 2018 and currently in the process of applying for my OPT.

Best not to use acronyms that aren't matters of common knowledge.

My question comes down to, if anyone has dealt with similar situation and has successfully obtained the EAD approval? If so, how did the process went and how long did it take you to receive the EAD approval?

The chances that someone who has or knows of a similar experience relating this alphabet soup of a situation you have described will happen upon your post are incredibly slim. If you tell us what these acronyms mean, someone might do a little digging to see if your criminal situation is likely to have any impact.

Now the issue comes to my OPT Application; the form itself required us to disclose all previous criminal histories, and I did planned to say "Yes" to the question and submit all related court documents in regards to my case.

Are you saying you LIED (by failing to disclose) about the previous conviction when you recently applied for your OPT Visa?

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a period during which undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status who have completed or have been pursuing their degrees for more than nine months are permitted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work for one year on a student visa towards.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 Students

Best not to use acronyms that aren't matters of common knowledge.

The chances that someone who has or knows of a similar experience relating this alphabet soup of a situation you have described will happen upon your post are incredibly slim. If you tell us what these acronyms mean, someone might do a little digging to see if your criminal situation is likely to have any impact.

@zddoodah Thank you for the quick responds, and sorry for all the acronyms. As defined by Amy, I am currently about to start my Optional practical training (OPT) application with the USCIS, and as I mentioned above, I have a misdemeanor B theft case happened back in 2011, and I am curious to if anyone has gone through
The OPT application process with a criminal record in the past that don't mind sharing their application process with me.

Are you saying you LIED (by failing to disclose) about the previous conviction when you recently applied for your OPT Visa?

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a period during which undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status who have completed or have been pursuing their degrees for more than nine months are permitted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work for one year on a student visa towards.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 Students

@army judge Thank you for the quick respond, and sorry for the confusion. I havn't submit my application yet, but planning to do so in the next couple weeks. And I don't plan to lie about this. What I meant to saying "YES" to my first post is that, I do plan to disclose the conviction with relevant court and police documents. I hope this clarifies it.

@army judge Thank you for the quick respond, and sorry for the confusion. I havn't submit my application yet, but planning to do so in the next couple weeks. And I don't plan to lie about this. What I meant to saying "YES" to my first post is that, I do plan to disclose the conviction with relevant court and police documents. I hope this clarifies it.

I see no reason why you won't be allowed to complete training post graduation, such as a clinical or practicum, required to receive certification or as a requirement of your graduation.

The offense is a minor one, and you have been forthcoming about the circumstances and result.

Good luck, and just make sure to keep obeying all of our laws to maintain your status.

Previously, I would have agreed that the likelihood this will come back to haunt you is remote. In this current political climate, it is anyone's guess. All you can do is apply and hope for the best.

Hi kj1993,

I hope everything went well. I'm in the same situation as yours right now and I'm extremely worried. I'm going to apply for OPT in September. Did you get your OPT approved? Did you answer the question regarding the arrest/conviction record on your application? Did you get any RFEs?

I am extremely depressed and anxious every day... Any information/update could save my life. Thank you in advance and I wish you all the best!

Sincerely,
Lily
Stop posting to old threads. Start your own thread if you need assistance. Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back