Opposing counsel has a conflict of interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConflictinVA

Wife's lawyer has conflict of interest: How best to use to my advantage?

Background:
My wife and me prepared a Property Settlement Agreement, with the assistance of a lawyer. At that time, we were not separating or aiming for a divorce. I turned over all information as wife and lawyer asked for them. 18 months later, wife sues for divorce and incorporation of PSA into divorce decree.
This is followed by a second suit, within two weeks, enforcement of PSA terms. Judge grants it.

Problem:
The lawyer who drew up the PSA is representing my wife.
This is a clear issue of 'Conflict of Interest'.

Proving it:
In the 'Rules of Professional Conduct' as published by Virginia State Bar, rule 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9 deal with conflict of interest. As luck would have it, there a FAQ titled 'Answering your Questions about Legal Ethics', which contains the following:

BEGIN QUOTE
18. Representation of Former Client in Divorce
Can an attorney represent a spouse in a divorce where the attorney previously represented the couple jointly in some other legal matter?

Satisfied clients usually return to former counsel when new matters arise. This is generally a good thing. However, potential conflicts of interest must be considered where the prior representation was part of joint representation of spouses. Frequently, an attorney will have done estate planning, bankruptcy or real estate work for a couple only to be contacted by one of the spouses when the marriage is dissolving. Each of these new representations must be analyzed regarding two rules: 1.6 governing client confidentiality and 1.9 regarding former clients. Rule 1.9(a) prohibits an attorney from representing a party adverse to a former client in a matter substantially related to the prior representation. This prohibition is often not the hindrance to accepting these new representations, as while the divorce certainly is adverse to the former client, it is not usually "substantially related" to the prior matter. Nevertheless, Rule 1.9(b), together with Rule 1.6, may be the source of a conflict in many of these instances. Rule 1.9(b) prohibits a lawyer from using confidential information obtained during a prior representation to the disadvantage of the former client. Attorneys must consider whether any of the information obtained during the first matter would be pertinent in the divorce. If such information was received, then, under Rules 1.6 and 1.9(b), the attorney may only represent one spouse in the divorce if the other spouse consents to the use of that information against him or her. See, LEOs 569, 677, 707, 774, 792, 1032 and 1181, reaching the same conclusions under the former Code of Professional Responsibility.
END QUOTE

To make my point the VSB has kindly provided an opinion in LEO 667.

BEGIN QUOTE
LEO 677: Conflict of Interest—Sharing Office Space While Representing Opposite Sides in a Divorce Case.
April 2, 1985
Attorney A previously represented both husband and wife in drafting a property settlement agreement which the husband and wife executed. Attorney A rendered legal advice to both husband and wife regarding the property settlement agreement. It would now be improper for attorney A to represent the wife in litigation for divorce in which the validity of the property settlement is an issue.
Since attorney A and attorney B share office space and secretarial help, it would also be improper for attorney B to represent the husband in the same divorce matter.
END QUOTE

Question:
How can I use this information to overturn the second court order, the enforcement of PSA terms? If not completely overturned, can I at least get it suspended or even better reversed. Don't want to pay out while wife has to get new lawyer.

A big thanks to everyone who participates!
httpwwwvsb.org&profguides&FAQ_leos&LegalEthicsFAQs&dot&html

I'm very familiar with the Cannons of ethic with the VA Bar. I just have one question: Why were you doing a PSA without a separation or divorce? Did her divorce attorney ever have a retainer agreement with you or just her?

If he had one with you and her then he is barred from representing either of you in a divorce. Further you could have invoked attorney client privilege and had him ejected from the case.

While he still could get into trouble with the Bar for the known conflict of interest, I'm not sure it effects the outcome of the rulings the judge made and therefore might not make your case any different. If you had objected to it during the case the judge would have ejected the attorney. Now you have waived any claim you had.

That's my guess.

Conflict: If you are going to post to other members threads, please check the date first. Thank You.
Hi,
I have been on the internet since 1990, or shall I call it ethernet, before even the WWW was invented. I still can't figure out this cross posting to threads....
Where did I mess up? Please let me know.
Thanks,

UPDATE:
My wife's divorce attorney (Amanda Kimble of Schargorodski and Associates PLC) did represent both of us for the PSA.
I had emailed her all the VSB links, asking her to withdraw (I was too broke to get an attorney). She blew me off, saying 'I don't read it the way you do'.
An official from the VSB was very unhappy with the fact that the lawyer continued to represent my wife, even after I had appraised her of the ethics rules.
It seems VSB will be taking up the case after all. Once Ms Kimble's name is published for public disciplinary hearings, I am half way happy.
Then, I am going to issue a press release 'Ms Amanda Kimble may be in violation of ethics rules'.
Each time she shows up as the attorney of record, I will mail her clients the disciplinary hearing thing.
This news is going to stick with her, for the rest of her career. Heck, I may even rent a bill board outside her office, get on face book, twitter etc. Been on the net long enough to know to know how search tools and rankings work. What ever the outcome of the VSB hearing, I am a very very happy person :)
What is she going to do to stop me?
sue me? for what?

Revenge is a dish best served cold!

You appear to be smarter than the average bear (much smarter, actually).

So, it causes me no pain when I say

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!!!!

Dear sweet jumping jack flash on a pink sparkling pogo stick. YES she can sue you. She can sue you for just about anything - and guess what? She has the resources with which to do so.

Do YOU have the resources to defend yourself against her? Do you seriously have the time and money you're going to need when she ties you up in litigation for the next five years?

PLEASE understand one very important point here - while she may not be ultimately successful if she does take action, she certainly can make your life completely miserable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back