Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Open Container

richlynn5

Hello, I am 21 years old, no prior offenses, full-time college student about to graduate and continue into grad school.

I received an open container violation of the local ordinance, in the city of Statesboro, GA - code section: 6-244.

I am wondering if I show up to court with community service hours completed, AA meetings documented, etc. that the judge will dismiss it so it doesn't stay on my record and hinder future employment (as I want to work for a federal agency).

Hello, I am 21 years old, no prior offenses, full-time college student about to graduate and continue into grad school.

I received an open container violation of the local ordinance, in the city of Statesboro, GA - code section: 6-244.

I am wondering if I show up to court with community service hours completed, AA meetings documented, etc. that the judge will dismiss it so it doesn't stay on my record and hinder future employment (as I want to work for a federal agency).

It can't hurt, but it might not help.
I have seen others use the same strategy and about 2025% of those receive the benefit of theor effort in their sentences.
That said, you are innocent until convicted, or you take a plea.
The worse that can happen is you'll personally benefit from attending AA meetings and feel personal fulfillment from serving your community.

Thank you! Do you have any other advice on how to get it dismissed or if the judge may give me a warning being that it's my first offense?
Also, should I hire an attorney or is it simply not worth the money/stress?

Thank you! Do you have any other advice on how to get it dismissed or if the judge may give me a warning being that it's my first offense?
Also, should I hire an attorney or is it simply not worth the money/stress?

I suggest you speak with three or four attorneys in your area.
The initial consultation is normally offered at no charge.
Its a good way to see how the legal system addresses your particular charge in your county.
Once you've done your groundwork, you can then determine which course(s) of action would best assist you in minimizing the damage.

Normally, these ordinance violations get plead down to "disorderly conduct" (or the least harmful charge) for first time offenders, you pay a fine, and that's it.
So, you see if a "disorderly conduct" charge is possible when you speak with attorneys that practice in your county court system.

All in all, I think you'll get the case dismissed, or reduced to the lowest offense possible, normally "disorderly".

Back