Criminal Law Open Container Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry101

I had an open container violation(had a bottle of wine that was not sealed). I got a ticket. I went to the court paid the fine. I also got a defered adjudication for 90 days so the case will not be on my record if i do not have any other violations during the 90 days. I successfully completed the 90 days with no violations. Does this effect my green card. Do i have to yes on the application form where it asks if i was ever convicted,charged,indited or fined ?The violation was in the state of texas and it is a class c misdemeanor punishable with a fine of up to $500

Good news and bad news. You were convicted for immigration purposes so make sure you DO NOT lie about it and don't try to hide it when interviewed.
However, chances are you were not convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude. For a crime to involve moral turpitude, the minimum offence required to be tried for that crime needs to involve moral turpitude. Because of this, it is highly unlikely that an open container violation involves moral turpitude. The open container law usually involves several parts and none of them seem to involve moral turpitude.

You should be OK.

PS: If you are ever found guilty of a CMT with a maximun possible sentence of 365 days or less and are actually sentenced to 180 days or less, you're also safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back