Online Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustratedIL

Oh please, please, please can someone help!?

In Sept. my nephew was killed when a neighbor at my sister's apartment complex backed over him in her car. She was tested for drugs and the results came back that although there was cocaine in her system, it could not be proven that it was in her system at the time of the accident. Also, she was driving while her license was suspended, however because someone from the DMV failed to send her notice, she continued to drive, and legally nothing can now be done. Ok, this is horribly tragic in and of itself, but it gets worse.

NOW, my sister who is still grieving the loss of her 27 month old son, is being continually harassed online by the woman who ran over my nephew, and her friends. They are posting comments and emailing her via the MySpace website. They are preying upon the fact that my sister has attempted suicide and are encouraging her to finish the job. Additionally, a blatant THREAT (although it was stated "this is not a threat, this is a promise") that my sister will soon find a "shank" in her back was also made.

My sister blocked these people and changed her privacy settings in order to stop the harassment, but they have now gone through the "tribute page" that was set up in honor and rememberence of her deceased son.

Both my mother and sister have attempted to gain the help of the local police department, which has jurisdiction over the investigation, however, they've been put off - told that it is not worth pursuing. A Sgt. at the deptartment told my mom not to bother going to the DA. I, myself tried contacting the Chief of Police and was given the run-around.

The latest harassment is that the individual has posted the following statement as her profile headline, ""Kelli Knight is a loser who killed her son Connor, she is living it up in Florida". (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=207550542)

Is this character defamation?

This is the very least of the terrible things that have been said. Copies have been made and handed out to the police showing the threat statement and other harassment, but it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference. What can we do?!

My sister lives in Maine, as do the harassers.

Attached is an article about a woman whose daughter had committeed sucide because of harassment from a friends mother. The young ladies mother went to the District Attorney in California where Myspace is based. Read over the article and let me know if it helps and the status of your sister's case. Also tell your sister to contact myspace and let them know that she is being harassed. Here is the article if you cannot click on it then copy and paste it in your bowser or go to kmov.com and type in myspace suicide in the search engine and the article will come up.

http://www.kmov.com/topstories/stories/kmov_localnews_080515_myspace_suicide.102eaa228.html

P.S. I am sorry for you lost and you families stress. :angel

If you've got a problem on MySpace, write to them and complain what's on another member's page. Any legal action will probably cost you more than it's worth - after all, what do you think this kind of "harrassment" should be worth? Report it and move on...

Yikes! I am so sorry, what a horrible story this is. In light of the documented abuse and unchallenged cause of death, why hasn't the family filed a wrongful death civil suit? The pattern of behavior is clear...no jury would be sympathetic to losers like this. You might add a defammation action as well, emotional injury...the whole nine yards. People like this need the full measure of law dumped upon them.

Give it time and it will happen. Typically a victim or victim's family will wait until a federal or state investigation/case is made and any verdict and evidence that materializes on the taxpayers' dime can be used to make the case of their own.

For a piece of mind...

I would like to just say something... last weekend I happened to be at a local bar in Rockland and "Kelli Knight" had a bit too much to drink... well she decided that she was going to start talking about the accident... and come to find out... at the time of the accident she was "napping". I guess Connor wouldnt stop bugging her to go and play on the playground and she wanted to sleep so she said FINE! Put his jacket on and sent him outdoors. A neighbor and friend had ran to apartment to tell her what happened as soon as it happened. As I understand it...Crystal (the driver) was the first person to a telephone to call 911. She just got hired at a local restaurant and was extremely excited... her 1 year old was in the car at the time of the accident and was crying before she was leaving the apartment...she was going to the store and thought since her daughter was fussy, a car ride might help. I DO NOT believe Crystal is at fault at all in this matter. She did nothing wrong. She was backing up properly... (her arm around passenger seat looking out back window) there was know way of her even seeing that little boy in the parking lot. About her not having a license...it got takin THAT morning because she forgot to pay a speeding ticket. Crystal had NO way of knowing!So people need to stop blaming that poor girl! Think about what SHE is going through...she has to deal with it for the rest of her life. She HAS appoligized and has asked to talk to Kelli... hoping it will help them both to talk... Kelli refuses... Crystal has spoken with both the grandmother (kelli's mother) and the father of the little boy and they have no harsh feelings. It just bothers me so much knowing that people are out there like Kelli and her friends that have repeatedly emailed her on myspace, telling her to kill herself and that she shouldnt be here on the planet, that she shouldnt have her kids, that they should be taken away. During Christmas Crystal had a tree on her page where you can leave gifts... Kelli and her friends sent her nooses, guns, knives (telling her to slit her wrists), plastic bags (to sufocate herself). Crystal NEVER harassed Kelli... all she did is want to "talk" to Kelli because Crystal believes if they talk that they may both have closure. Now yes... i feel bad for Kelli. But it could have been prevented.

Yikes! I am so sorry, what a horrible story this is. In light of the documented abuse and unchallenged cause of death, why hasn't the family filed a wrongful death civil suit? The pattern of behavior is clear...no jury would be sympathetic to losers like this. You might add a defammation action as well, emotional injury...the whole nine yards. People like this need the full measure of law dumped upon them.

Oh and she is DEFINETLY not a loser... she may have went to a party and done things she shouldnt have the day before... but I know a lot of people that have done that. She wasnt under the influence of anything. I know Kelli and Crystal both... and KElli isnt all so innosent either. Crystal Has never been one to be on drugs. She has her occational fun... but thats it. She has never OD or been high around her children or jeprodized her childrens safety EVER. She is a great mother and people need to get the WHOLE story before they make judgement.

Oh please, please, please can someone help!?

In Sept. my nephew was killed when a neighbor at my sister's apartment complex backed over him in her car. She was tested for drugs and the results came back that although there was cocaine in her system, it could not be proven that it was in her system at the time of the accident. Also, she was driving while her license was suspended, however because someone from the DMV failed to send her notice, she continued to drive, and legally nothing can now be done. Ok, this is horribly tragic in and of itself, but it gets worse.

NOW, my sister who is still grieving the loss of her 27 month old son, is being continually harassed online by the woman who ran over my nephew, and her friends. They are posting comments and emailing her via the MySpace website. They are preying upon the fact that my sister has attempted suicide and are encouraging her to finish the job. Additionally, a blatant THREAT (although it was stated "this is not a threat, this is a promise") that my sister will soon find a "shank" in her back was also made.

My sister blocked these people and changed her privacy settings in order to stop the harassment, but they have now gone through the "tribute page" that was set up in honor and rememberence of her deceased son.

Both my mother and sister have attempted to gain the help of the local police department, which has jurisdiction over the investigation, however, they've been put off - told that it is not worth pursuing. A Sgt. at the deptartment told my mom not to bother going to the DA. I, myself tried contacting the Chief of Police and was given the run-around.

The latest harassment is that the individual has posted the following statement as her profile headline, ""Kelli Knight is a loser who killed her son Connor, she is living it up in Florida".

Is this character defamation?

This is the very least of the terrible things that have been said. Copies have been made and handed out to the police showing the threat statement and other harassment, but it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference. What can we do?!

My sister lives in Maine, as do the harassers.

Crystal never harassed Kelli... I promise you that. She has also saved every conversation they have had. I have read them. Crystal wanted closure and wanted to help Kelli have closure. As for the other person... which I know who your talking about...had hard feeling for Kelli in the first place because 2 weeks prior to the accident her husband for Connor wandering around in the sawap area by the railroad tracks behind the complex. When returned Kelli didnt even know he was missing. EVERYONE in the complex was on Kelli's side... not even wanting to know the WHOLE story. They started harassing "her friend" because she was they only person defending Crystal. Her friend LOST nerly all her friends in the complex because her friend was doing what she thought was right. Now I will agree that some of the things her friend said shouldnt have been said... but Kelli shouldnt have started it... I was there the day that "her friend" recieved a messege from Kelli stating that she was no longer her friend because she was defending Crystal... blah blah blah and thats when the harassing stated...

The news article

Police say 22-year-old Crystal Davey ran over the two-year-old as she was backing out of her parking spot on Monday afternoon. Police say the child was playing in the parking lot of Stevens Green apartments on Lovejoy Street. She told police she didn't know he was playing there. It happened around 4:15 P.M. at the Stevens Green complex on Lovejoy Street.

Police say Kelli Knight was nearby at the time of the accident.

Connor Knight was taken to Penobscot Bay Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Davey was arrested on an unrelated outstanding warrant. She has been released on bail.

Authorities say pending results of blood and alcohol tests, they do expect to bring charges against Davey.

Connor lived at the apartment complex with his mother, Kelli Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back