Online Censorship

Danny

Jurisdiction
Other
Hello. My question has been bothering me for awhile.

Mark Zuckerberg via Facebook has closed countless accounts.

Over 30,000 accounts before the French election.

Over 10,000 accounts before the UK election.

24 conservative Catholic accounts recently.

That is what I saw in the news.

I am not much of a capitalist, but if I can 'smell' the money, I do not understand why no law firms do not see the opportunity.

Why are there no class action lawsuits against Facebook?

Best,

Danny Thom

There is no legal right to have a Facebook account. Accounts are controlled by the owner and their policies. They have the right to close any account as they see fit to do so. And Zuckerburg has many more legal resources than any small group of challengers.

I am not much of a capitalist, but if I can 'smell' the money, I do not understand why no law firms do not see the opportunity.

Because Facebook is the private property of the owner and the owner calls the shots.

If the owner of this site required you to wear green socks to be allowed to post, you'd be banned if you didn't and there wouldn't be any legal recourse. Fortunately, Michael is quite tolerant of peoples' choices of sock color. :D

Same color as my socks.

:p

There are several different colored smileys available in the tool bar above the message space. Second line, 5th icon from the left. Click on it before you click post reply. You can put one in anywhere you put your cursor.

Mark Zuckerberg via Facebook has closed countless accounts.

While Zuckerberg is chairman/CEO of FB, it is unlikely he had any personal involvement in anything you described.

Over 30,000 accounts before the French election.

Over 10,000 accounts before the UK election.

24 conservative Catholic accounts recently.

I'm sure FB closes dozens or hundreds of accounts every day. I don't know which "French election" or "UK election" you're talking about. My understanding is those countries hold elections on a fairly regular basis, but I'm sure accounts were closed both before and after any number of elections -- in France and the UK and the U.S. and any number of other countries. Likewise, I'm sure accounts of "conservative Catholics" and liberal Catholics and recovering Catholics and Jews and Muslims and all sorts of other religions (as well as agnostics and atheists) have been closed. SO WHAT?

"Smell the money"? What "opportunity" are you talking about?

Who says there aren't, but what sorts of "class action lawsuits" are you talking about? Lawsuits for what?

Back