Consumer Fraud Online Auction. False advertising?

K

Kbkr

Jurisdiction
Missouri
Gonna try to keep this short and as unbias as possible.

Bought a skid steer at an online auction for my husband's birthday. Not a mechanic but I knew what options, hours, and specs he wanted. Was listed as 2 speed and smooth rumning, no leaks, smoke, or known issues. Got it home and literally locked up on one side, lights went blinking, and started smoking. Now it won't start. Found that joystick for 2 speed is option is not present and internal wires were rigged together haphazard-like. I know there's no warranties, however the listing was misrepresentive and listed options that were not correct. Paid $9,200 plus tax so this cost over $10k and ruined my husband's birthday in the process, of course. Any legal recourse or is this just a tough lesson learned?

It is always a good idea to try used items bought from unknown sources prior to purchase. When buying something mechanical or that expensive, it pays to have someone who knows the product check it out too. Assuming you even know who the seller is, you can try small claims court.

Sorry, it's like buying a used car. You had the opportunity to check it all out before bidding. If you didn't you shouldn't have bid. I suspect that the auction place has all sorts of disclaimers that you agree to when you register.

So, no, no recourse and, yes, just a tough lesson learned.

Back