One day late on fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John86

Hi, I was wondering what type of action would realistically be carried out against someone for an unpaid fine. Let me fill you in on my problem, this just happened today.

I've been paying off a fine for a disorderly conduct charge for the past few months (50 dollars every two weeks). I literally only have two payments to go until it is all done, and today I was supposed to make my second to last payment. I had gone to the courthouse to pay it off around at around 5 PM, but it closed at 4:30 PM, and nobody was there. I have made all my payments without problems so far, and it never occured to me that they would close so early. Now, I understand it is my fault that I never checked the business hours, but I was extremely busy today, being in Pittsburgh to get everything squared away for my new apartment, and giving my sister rides to and from school. I had made all my other payments around noon or 1PM, and since I had other obligations at that time, I couldn't make it. I have the money to pay it, and now all I can do is pay it tomorrow as soon as the courthouse opens and hope they understand. The reason I am so worried, is that there was 15 day suspended jail sentence issued if I failed to pay the fine. However, I have not really refused or been unable to pay it, I just missed it by a day. Has anbody personally had a problem like this, or heard of one? What happened? I'm really scared because I have to start school in Pittsburgh soon, and if they carry out the suspended jail time, I will not be able to make it to school when it starts, and the school will most likely kick me out because of that. Do you think the police/judge will understand and accept the 50 dollar payment one day late?

I would also like to add that I made many attempts to find another way to pay it. I went directly to the city municipal building, which was also closed. The local police department was closed to civilians at that time, as well. I went home, opened the phone book and made a lot of calls to every local office that I could think of, all of them were closed. I have been unable to speak to anybody about this, so I don't know what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back