On-line College wants money for services

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacredwolf

I signed up over a year ago to a on-line school, it was accredited and the counselor stated that they prided themselves on communication. I stated that I had no funds, after going through a divorce, (the ex ran off with her boy friend and had cleaned the bank accounts, including my private savings leaving me nothing...lesson learned there). I wanted to make a new and go back to school. She understood this and said it is very common and the financial department would help in this area. I was given the ok by that department to start classes with stating that my grants and so on would take care of everything.

Then along the way a request came up for some documentation on old tax papers supposedly to help me get more on my Pell Grant. I started looking for the papers but the ex had done a number on the personal records and safe as well( I assume looking for every last dime she could steal). I was never given a deadline nor was I told you have to have this in or you will have NO funding period.

I complete the first course with a low (A), not bad for being out of school for so long. I begin the next course, and in the mean time I discuss that I am unable to locate these papers and what do I need to do. The emails go back a forth for a bit with no real direction or anything. I finally get some info. and contact the IRS to get the forms to fill out, to get the other forms. Then I get a email from the school that I have been dropped and that they want over $2000.00 NOW for services rendered NOW!! I am blown away.

I had through the first half voiced several complaints about the poor communication, and written a couple letters to the complaint department, there were several issues I was not happy with. But I went on thinking it would maybe get better. I was told I had funding, and that everything was fine to continue on. Then they drop me and want immediate funds!!

After over 6 months since the last time someone called, I received a call again from a new person on this ledger amount and they want me to pay for everything now or else. I stated my stand and reason for not paying for this debt. And of course he says that I have no ground to stand on, I owe this amount and I am expected to pay, period.

I feel like I just went through the wringer with a used car salesman, they point blank lied to me, said that I had funding, they dropped me, the service as a whole was completely unacceptable. But I should still be made to pay for it?

Now the question, where do I stand in this matter?
What are my rights?
And what can they actually do to me?

I would appreciate any advice or thoughts in this manner.

Thank you very much,

T

Standard answer on expired SOL (statute of limitation) and/or validation and/or dispute letters. There are thousands of posts similar to yours on this forum so I have prepared a standard answer.

Validation letters:

http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=353111

SOL (Statutes of limitation are DEFENSES to lawsuits; they do NOT provide a method to stop someone from suing you. This defense means when they sue you, you answer with the defense that it is barred by the SOL.)

http://www.bcsalliance.com/y_debt_sol.html

http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/Disputing_Collections/SoL-dispute-letter.html

Validation letter samples you can get at :
www.creditinfocenter.com
and www.creditboards.com

Make sure you ask for VALIDATION (and do not accept verification).

Disputes: You can write a letter of dispute to the three credit reporting agencies.

Go this website to find instructions and samples for how to dispute: http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/

Sometimes errors are easy to remove and sometimes they stick like glue. It is inexpensive to try and not difficult.

I am NOT a creditor-debtor lawyer; stand by for further help.

I am NOT vouching for the accuracy of these websites!

Debt settlement:

http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=293829

Does a ledger count

They sent me via email a ledger statement with the classes...and the charges they are asking for their services...Is this the same as a validation?

Thanks

They sent me via email a ledger statement with the classes...and the charges they are asking for their services...Is this the same as a validation?

Thanks

Sounds like it to me.

So am I just stuck?

I take it that from the lack of responses....I am just stuck paying for classes I was not allowed to take cause they dropped me, and I have no where to stand against this sort of thing? I mean is this legal? Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

T

seniorjudge

Thanks for your help...I did not mean that you had not assisted me. I am just not the sharpest knife on the table and frankly at a lost with this whole mess.

T

I take it that from the lack of responses....I am just stuck paying for classes I was not allowed to take cause they dropped me, and I have no where to stand against this sort of thing? I mean is this legal? Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

T

If you feel you have a defense, then try negotiating with them. Make sure everything is in writing.

If that does not work, then tell them to sue you. Then you can tell your story to a judge.

If you feel you have a defense, then try negotiating with them. Make sure everything is in writing.

If that does not work, then tell them to sue you. Then you can tell your story to a judge.

Ok, I would appreciate it if you can tell me if I am in the wrong here?? I mean maybe I am not seeing this the way I need to, and if so That is cool, I can adapt and accept if I am truly in the wrong. If I do not have my head right about this whole thing, then please set me straight. Thanks again for all of your help. I do appreciate it.

T

I think these places are a scam so I think you are in the right.

My advice stays the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back