old traffic tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

payshuncezmom

I have a couple of questions concerning some tickets I got years ago. First off, when these were issued I had a Louisiana driver license. I now live in Mississippi though. The first ticket(s) were in Livonia, LA. I was pulled over for speeding, 75 in a 55, and also received expired tag & failure to change address on D.L. All of these charges were on one ticket. This happened in late 2006. The next ticket I have was for speeding in Amite County, Mississippi. I thought I had an expired tag ticket also but justice court ran me through the system and the speeding ticket is all that showed up. This happened on superbowl sunday in 2007. The last ticket I got was also for speeding (81 in a 70) in Pike County, Mississippi. I believe this happened in May of 2007 if not earlier that year. My first question is that if I pay all these & reinstate my license, in mississippi since I live here now, can a expired tag ticket from Amite County, MS come back to haunt me? Also, is there a way to make sure there are no other tickets out there? My local DMV pulled up nothing, not even my speeding tickets. I have also heard about writing a judge to get the old tickets thrown out, do you think I could do that? If so, what type of judge and from where should I write? ANY and ALL information will be appreciated. Thank yall in advance!!!

I have a couple of questions concerning some tickets I got years ago. First off, when these were issued I had a Louisiana driver license. I now live in Mississippi though. The first ticket(s) were in Livonia, LA. I was pulled over for speeding, 75 in a 55, and also received expired tag & failure to change address on D.L. All of these charges were on one ticket. This happened in late 2006. The next ticket I have was for speeding in Amite County, Mississippi. I thought I had an expired tag ticket also but justice court ran me through the system and the speeding ticket is all that showed up. This happened on superbowl sunday in 2007. The last ticket I got was also for speeding (81 in a 70) in Pike County, Mississippi. I believe this happened in May of 2007 if not earlier that year. My first question is that if I pay all these & reinstate my license, in mississippi since I live here now, can a expired tag ticket from Amite County, MS come back to haunt me? Also, is there a way to make sure there are no other tickets out there? My local DMV pulled up nothing, not even my speeding tickets. I have also heard about writing a judge to get the old tickets thrown out, do you think I could do that? If so, what type of judge and from where should I write? ANY and ALL information will be appreciated. Thank yall in advance!!!

Let me start with a warning to others.
Never avoid taking care of your tickets.
Tickets do not just go away, unlike bad debts.
They don't get old and age off.
They only get worse and the fines, fees, and costs increase.

Okay, you should contact the courts in the locales where the tickets were issued.
You can start with a phone call.
Most court clerks will tell you what you have to do to take care of the tickets.
You might be offered an option to pay up and things go away.

The problem for you is, that the tickets have most likely had an additional charge added.
That charge is usually failure to appear.
It may be called something else, but it means you didn't handle your business.
Its a criminal contempt charge.
It will usually cost you more money.

However, if the tickets are sometimes a little older, some courts will dismiss it.
That is dismiss it, if you pay up.
What these little courts often want is money for their townships, counties, cities, state.
Its always about the money.
Often, you offer to pay up, they will let up.

No one can say what a court will do.
Many courts want money.
Some courts want to lecture you, and then make you pay money.
Some judges want to lock you up a couple of days or weeks.

Call the court.
Ask them how you can fix it.
They'll tell you what they want.
The rest is up to you and your new state's DMV!

Be advised, that even if you pay up, you might have your license suspended for 90 days, 180 days, or even a year.
Again, no one can say what the court will do.
Call them tomorrow and find out what it'll take to make it right!

i have called so many numbers & different courts! Its exhausting, not to mention frustrating. Wish i would have been smarter about all this back then. Now i have a husband & a lil girl and not having a license has kept me from getting or even applying for some jobs. My question now is, my local DMV ran my info and it didnt pull up any tickets, at all. I know have some, i now have the ticket numbers. So, if the justice court says i dont have any expired tag ticket, should i trust it? Also, should i try writing a judge or district attorney to see if i can get any of them dismissed? Or should i get a traffic lawyer? Or should i just pay them? All opinions welcomed!!

i have called so many numbers & different courts! Its exhausting, not to mention frustrating. Wish i would have been smarter about all this back then. Now i have a husband & a lil girl and not having a license has kept me from getting or even applying for some jobs. My question now is, my local DMV ran my info and it didnt pull up any tickets, at all. I know have some, i now have the ticket numbers. So, if the justice court says i dont have any expired tag ticket, should i trust it? Also, should i try writing a judge or district attorney to see if i can get any of them dismissed? Or should i get a traffic lawyer? Or should i just pay them? All opinions welcomed!!

Have you applied for a new license?

If they ran your information and it comes back negative, why not just apply for a new license?

Sometimes courts will just purge old tickets by granting a blanket amnesty.

You might be in the clear after all.

Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose.

You've also got a great deal to gain.

If you can get a new license, its also much cheaper!

Sure, its a bit more difficult than just turning in your old license, but you'll eventually get a new legal license!

If you have not done so, contact the county sheriff in the counties where you received the citations. Tell them you believe you may have unpaid traffic citations and would like them to check if you might have a warrant. Give them your information and they will tell you real quick if you have a problem or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back