Old tickets never went to court, Dismissed with leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newcmags

Ok, when I was young I recieved a number of tickets, speeding mainly, but also 1 for failing to reduce speed in rain and getting in a wreck, 1 driving with a suspended license, 1 failing to stop at a stop sign, and a couple DWLRs. Never really went to court for any of them.

I moved away for like a year. Came back and want to get all of it handled, but dont want to spend anytime in jail. What would be best way of doing this.

I got my record at the court house. And they all say DISMISSED WITH LEAVE.

So I contacted the DMV here in NC, and they say my license is revoked becouse of out standing tickets.

How can they be outstanding if they are all listed as dismissed with leave???

Get a copy of your driving record from the DMV and find out exactly which court/s have reported to them. Then contact the clerk of court and find out the disposition. If they have been settled get the clerk to issue you a letter to take to the DMV.

It is extremely likely that you may also have some warrants out and you need to get those settled immediately. I salute you on finally coming to your senses. There are a lot of traffic attorneys in NC and they work cheap. Once you have the information one of them may actually be able to save you some money. Good luck on getting your past straightened out.

No warrants, which make this all the wierder. I know there are no warrants becouse I spent time in the jail here in December, and they made me handle all the warrants. Even shipped me across the state to take care of another speeding ticket.

I left out in the first posts that my dad went to one of my court dates and told them I had moved to Boston.

I do as you said and get my complete driving record. I hope this is simple to handle, I dont have any DWIs so I think I can get my license back.

I actualy got a letter back in December, that I could have a hearing about my license, but I lost the letter. Thats why I wrote the DMV, and they sent me the responce about the open citations.

thanks

I found this searching the NC general statues for Dismissal and Leave

§ 15A‑932. Dismissal with leave when defendant fails to appear and cannot be readily found or pursuant to a deferred prosecution agreement. (a) The prosecutor may enter a dismissal with leave for nonappearance when a defendant: (1) Cannot be readily found to be served with an order for arrest after the grand jury had indicted him; or (2) Fails to appear at a criminal proceeding at which his attendance is required, and the prosecutor believes the defendant cannot be readily found. (a1) The prosecutor may enter a dismissal with leave pursuant to a deferred prosecution agreement entered into in accordance with the provisions of Article 82 of this Chapter. (b) Dismissal with leave for nonappearance or pursuant to a deferred prosecution agreement results in removal of the case from the docket of the court, but all process outstanding retains its validity, and all necessary actions to apprehend the defendant, investigate the case, or otherwise further its prosecution may be taken, including the issuance of nontestimonial identification orders, search warrants, new process, initiation of extradition proceedings, and the like. (c) The prosecutor may enter the dismissal with leave for nonappearance or pursuant to a deferred prosecution agreement orally in open court or by filing the dismissal in writing with the clerk. If the dismissal for nonappearance or pursuant to a deferred prosecution agreement is entered orally, the clerk must note the nature of the dismissal in the case records. (d) Upon apprehension of the defendant, or in the discretion of the prosecutor when he believes apprehension is imminent, the prosecutor may reinstitute the proceedings by filing written notice with the clerk. (e) If the defendant fails to comply with the terms of a deferred prosecution agreement, the prosecutor may reinstitute the proceedings by filing written notice with the clerk. (1977, c. 777, s. 1; 1985, c. 250; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 2.)

If I am reading this write, and it says that Dismissed with leave is a kind of a place holder?
And that I need to get a lawyer to reopen the cases and get them handled that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back