Old Landlord did not transfer Security deposit to new landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgd0415

I am a tenant in a building (12 fmily) that was just informed by new landlord that the building was sold to him. My previous landlord (L1) adviced new landlord that he did not recieve a security deposit tansfer from previous landlord (L2). When L2 sold to L1 the tenants received a letter from the lawer advicing that L2 had transfered all security deposits to L1. New landlord adviced tenants that he did not recive any securtiy deposit transfer from L1 in addition to saying that L1 had signed a coument in lawyers office indicating he did not have a security deposit from any of the tenants. New landlord also advice tenants that it was not his job to go after L1 to collect the security deposit back that it was tenants job to do that. New landlord advice tenants that they had to give him a security deposit with rent as he was the new landord.

Can the new landlord do this? Am I to go after previous owner for my security deposti? Can the new landlord evict me if I only give him the rent as I don't have the additional monies to provide him? Can anyone assit me with this issue? In addition to all of this the new landlord adviced me that he was new landlord with a letter that was a week old. Please help.

Your new landlord is a bit of a dummy, especially in such a tenant friendly state as New Jersey.

Security deposits are to "roll over" the the new landlord when a rental unit is sold. It is not up to the tenants to contact the old landlord for these deposits nor can the new landlord require tenants to fork over more money for the deposit.

You do have documentation that you paid the original depost, correct? If so, and your landlord files for an evictin because you did not provide them another security deposit bring this information to the hearing.

In addition, when your lease terminates and you make the decision to move, it is the responsibility of the new landlord to provide you with your security deposit plus interest (minus any amount held back for damages above normal wear and tear) within the required time period for New Jersey (30 days). Failure to do so means you have the ability to take the landlord to court to sue for DOUBLE the amount of this deposit.

I've attached an easy to read article discussing security deposits in New Jersey:

http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/placeilive/irentmyhome/tenantsrights/chapterthree/index.cfm

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back