Old Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garth

I have been contacted by a collection agency for a 16 year old debt, not entirely sure if this is my debt or not, but the debt is 350.00. Is there a statue of limitations on this kind of thing?

Garth, yes in most states there is a SOL. Google it and you should be able to find out what that is in your state.

I believe the FCCA law states all debt can remain as collectible for 7 years. However, that period can be extended by causing the last used date (date the debt was last used by debtor. This date can start the seven yr period over when a collection agency contacts you. If that agency is unsuccessful and sells your debt to another agency, the SOL can start again with the new agency's initial contact. Agencies are not interested in buying 10-15 yr aged debt in the amount of 350, though.

All that aside, 16yrs have elapsed with little or no inquiries I will assume. I suspect this could be a fraudulent attempt by some pfisher at collecting this money. Tell them you paid it 10 yrs ago and they were duped when they purchased the account, lol. That was a joke by the way and is not the opinion I would suggest utilizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back