Oil Change Negligence

Santi1024

Jurisdiction
Texas
I got my oil changed at Goodyear on 1/20/2018, and I've been driving my 2011 Toyota corolla since then. I go to start my car on Sunday 1/28/2018, and the car is saying that there is no oil in it. I'm thinking that it had to be inaccurate. So I cut the car off and started it back up, light still didn't go away. I proceed to pop the hood of my car and check the dipstick and there is absolutely positively no oil in my car. I get down to check under the car and all the oil that is left is running out. I called for a tow and ended up having to pay $240 to get it from my house to Goodyear. I had to wait until Monday morning, and they told me it has a hairline crack in it. His mechanic may have tightened it too tight, and that they would have to find an engine because mine is seized. I am also renting a car for the week. I haven't been offered reimbursement for the rental, or the tow. And I'm trying to see if I should be reimbursed due to it being on them. It's very frustrating to say the least because I've had the car for a little over 17 months. Got it at 49k miles and I've gotten it to 106k. All I've ever needed on the car was brakes and an oil change.

What all are they required to cover? And should they be reimbursing me.

Ask them to cover your towing and rental charges. If they refuse, you will have to take them to court. There is no such thing really as "what all are they required to cover." They should have insurance to cover this type of issue.

they told me it has a hairline crack in it. His mechanic may have tightened it too tight

What does "it" refer to in these sentences?

I haven't been offered reimbursement for the rental, or the tow.

Have you asked about reimbursement? If not, why not? If so, what response did you receive?

And I'm trying to see if I should be reimbursed due to it being on them. . . .

What all are they required to cover? And should they be reimbursing me.

If the repair shop damaged your vehicle, then you are entitled to be compensated (including for the cost of the tow and a rental car). However, all you've told us is that some unidentified thing was cracked because the "mechanic may have tightened it too tight."

What does "it" refer to in these sentences?

Have you asked about reimbursement? If not, why not? If so, what response did you receive?

If the repair shop damaged your vehicle, then you are entitled to be compensated (including for the cost of the tow and a rental car). However, all you've told us is that some unidentified thing was cracked because the "mechanic may have tightened it too tight."

He didn't specify what it was. He kept saying that it was on them, and that he could take it off to show me the hairline crack. I expressed to them how much the tow was, and also the rental. Goodyear has offered me a 2 seater vehicle that they have, but that wouldn't work for me because I have young children that I transport to and from.

Ask them to cover your towing and rental charges. If they refuse, you will have to take them to court. There is no such thing really as "what all are they required to cover." They should have insurance to cover this type of issue.

Thank you for the response. I am very unfamiliar with what they should be covering. Being that I have never had this done before. I figured if it was offered to me, they would have asked for the receipts when I got there Monday morning. I was afraid of retaliation and possibly not getting my car fixed and going through the long process of taking them to small claims court

It sounds like they are trying to make it right. You will need to ask them directly about covering your rental and the tow.

It sounds as if the oil pan was cracked. So long as there is no damage indicating you hit something Isr expect them to own up to the mistake and make you whole. It is a reputable company so you are of off a good start.
Joe's Auto Shop down on the corner may not be so cooperative

Back