Officer made mistake, now wants to reissue ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

annalisanoell

A police officer gave me a ticket for driving without insurance, now he has come to my house and told my parents what happened, since he made a mistake on the ticket and wanted to find me so that he could reissue the ticket. I am 18 and no longer live at home, so he had no legal right to tell my parents anything. Also is he allowed to reissue the ticket since he made a mistake and marked the wrong court on the ticket?

The ticket is public information and he can tell anyone he pleases. He can also correct the ticket.

It all depends on the laws in your un-named state.

In general, your citation or arrest are a matter of public record so nothing was likely improper about telling your parents about it.

Also, a citation can generally be amended at any time before court. If a NEW citation is the common practice in your locale, then so be it. Out here, we generally send a form articulating the amendment ... but, every state and jurisdiction has different rules and practices.

- Carl

I'm in Oregon, Clackamas County and I've heard from several people that the officer should not be able to do this, but I'm not sure. Besides all that I am really pissed that he showed up at my parents house and told them all of this information. My step-mother, the one who he actually told the information has been trying to use it against me to gain ownership of my car.

Well, as I mentioned, the citation is almost certainly public record so there should be no foul in letting anyone know about it. Your step mother can't use your citation to take possession of a car she does not own, so unless she owns it, then it's a moot point.

As for whether issuing a new citation is permissible or not in OR, I can't say. I suspect there is a method for amending a citation, so one way or another you will have to deal with the violation. Unless these "several people" are attorneys or local peace officers, I doubt they have any more definitive an answer than I do.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back