1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Obtaining Detective Statements

Discussion in 'Expert Witnesses & Investigators' started by brenda092864, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brenda092864

brenda092864 Law Topic Starter New Member

how do i go about obtaining a police and detective statement from my local police deptartment? do i have to file under the freedom of information act?

2. Scooterdog

Scooterdog New Member

The Federal Freedom of Information act applies to Federal agencies only. Your state has either a state FOIA or Open Records Law. You can then make a request under that and the Privacy Act.

If they still don't budge, and no continueing investigation is going on, you can file a petition with the State Court. I did just that and won against my local Sheriff's and Police Department.

Check your constitution as well.

You should be able to walk in and ask for it, under the law, or send a return reciept letter to the department.

3. brenda092864

brenda092864 Law Topic Starter New Member

That you so much for your help.

4. Scooterdog

Scooterdog New Member

You are welcome. If you need more help, chime in, I can give you pointers if they want to get stupid.