Obtaining a Police Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atarhpe

My jurisdiction is: Pennsylvania

I am going to small claims court against my now ex-landlord due to the fact that he illegally locked me out twice and still has a majority of my possessions along with tossing my elderly cat out of the apartment.

On both lock-out occasions I contacted the State Police since my town doesn't have a local police department. Both times officers came out, took my information the landlord's address/phone and reviewed my lease. They said there wasn't anything they could do except make a report for me and that what the LL did was wrong but I would have to go to court as it was civil and not criminal.

Yesterday, I paid a visit to the St. Police to try and obtain a copy of the police reports for my legal aid Attorney but was told by the Officer that I couldn't get a copy and that they do not give copies of Police Reports. He said if it's going to court the officers will most likely be showing up at court as well but this is small claims court and not criminal court so I wasn't really expecting them nor can I remember either officer's name to even notify them of the case.

We need these reports as they are proof that he did in fact lock me out and all the other things as well without them he could deny it all. I have no idea what to do at this point. If police reports are public record why can't I get a copy of these two where I was the one who called in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back