Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse NYS Police Background Check- Charged with crime for verifying story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimJones

A friend of mine is applying for a job as a NYS trooper. The application process involves a background investigation and a polygraph exam. During the interview process, my friend informed the investigators that he had purchased $20 of marijuana from me a few years ago. I received a phone call from one of the investigators. In his message, he said that he has a few questions for me and that it's about my friend not about me. My friend says that they just want to verify the story he told them (that he only bought $20 worth, that it only happened one time, etc.) and that they don't care about a petty sale that occurred years ago. My question is this: are the police trying to set me up to get a taped confession or are they really just trying to verify my friend's account?

They are almost certainly trying to verify your friend's story. Chances are a small marijuana transaction years ago has passed the statue of limitations and is hardly worth pursuing. But, no law requires you to speak to the investigators or admit to any criminal activity. It's your call.

Your cooperation with the investigator will be a help to your friend. Not cooperating could look suspicious to them. Your buddy has already opened up about it. There is nothing for you to hide.

It sounds to me like they are really just trying to verify the information in regard to your friend. You might as well talk to them (your call though) since your friend already mentioned it. I doubt they are trying to set you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back