Criminal Law NYClex: Plaese help:Inquiry about CIMT Charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pal_

NYClex: I read a lot of responses from you to other people. Can you help me out please?

I am a Canadian Citizen for Toronto. I have pled Gulity to the following charge in Canada which reads like this on Court Papers:

- On or near Toronto, did , with intent to mislead, unlawfully cause a Peace officer to enter or continue an Investigation by making a False statement that accused person or persons unknown of having committed an offence, thereby committing Public Mischief, contrary to section 140(1) ( A) of the Criminal Code of Canada.

This is a Summary charge in Canada( maximum penalty is six months)
I got conditional discharge with probation. I completed probation with no prblem.

Is it a Crime of Moral Turpitude in USA? Is it going to cause any problem in getting Green Card?

Please help me out. I am on work permit in Newark, NJ

Thanks,
Pal

Please understand that this cannot be legal advice, since I do not know all the circumstances of the case.

But from what I read so far it looks like this probably is a crime of moral turpitude. If this is the only crime on record the exception mentioned in other posts should apply and you would be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back