NYC Shared Driveway - Abusive Neighbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny782

Houses is in Jackson Heights queens, we share a drive wide enough for a single vehicle leading to a detached 2-car garage. One his, one ours.

Okay so this guy moved here in '99. Immediately took to blocking the driveway with taxi's. Would park it their overnight making me late for work trying to get out. Not too long after had a LARGE dumpster put in the drive after I went to work one day and my dad was travelling.

Had no access to my garage for about 2 weeks. Spoke to him, had the cops here twice "nothing we can do", finally the fire department ordered him to get it out of there.

The address of the property in question i 35-47 71st Street, Jackson Heights, NY 11372

14 complaints have been filed and 8 indivisual violations by building inspectors.

These violations include tearing up his back garden in order to create illegal parking areas for his cars and to rent out. He's recieved 3 violations and fines on this, and was told to discontinue its use.
These parking areas are still in use and have been since the inspection.

Unsafe living conditions, including:
1) Breaking up the basement into small cubicles.
2) Converteing the top floor into a seperate apartment. A bedroom into a kitchen and remaining bedrooms into smaller rooms.
Inspectors noted that the 1 family home had been converted to a 3+ family home. One of the fines was over $5000 dollars. And performing all work with no permits.

The owner has payed out a total of $10,000 in fines, and they have all been closed based on the owners Afadavit, that he won't do it anymore I assume.
He has not however made any corrections on any of these violations. His only C/O is still for a 1 family residence issued in 1924.
This home is packed, at one point they had a dozen mattresses delivered at once no box springs or frames.
Tenants kick doors and yell up to windows trying to get in at all hours.

Whatever is going on is clearly illegal according to the inspectors but the $10,000 in fines don't seem to bother them. So I have to think something else is going on.

For all complaints following these violations they simply don't let the inspectors in anymore.
Except for once when they have let the inspector in on the second attempt when they were ready.

This summer he just disappeared for 3 months and got back on monday. He's already fighting with us about the driveway. And how I can't park in front of my garage and need to park on the street. Although he can get in and out no problem.

While he was gone other cars got in and out ok, no fighting no nothing. HE is the problem.

My parents took him to court for harrasment a few years ago and he recieved a judgement against him. But what the terms of that judgement are I don't know.

As I type he is blocking the drive with an SUV and 2 taxi's.

Anyone have any tips?
I'm getting sick over this and my retired parents shouldn't have to deal with this crap.

Have an attorney notify him that he is burdening the easement and that any vehicles in the future will be towed. Then call and have them towed.

I have the same problem with my neighbord and the problem is that every time that you call the cops they said "oh ,this is a civil matter" but yes you are paying taxes for the benefit of others , you have some alternatives to this problem:
1-Get a good attorney and take them to court to eliminate the easement .
2-Sell the property .Someone else will get the headache .
3-Learn to live with the problem and don't let any body to take away your peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back