NY State SSDI - Where to start?

mal1970

Jurisdiction
New York
My husband was diagnosed with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis in June 2019. He also has severe lower back issues is in constant pain from that, and has had two surgeries in the last two years for the same herniated disc., which we just found out has herniated for a third time. His only surgical option now is fusion. He's an auto mechanic and it's become extremely difficult to do his job. His balance is off, he's constantly tripping and falling and dropping things, and when people that don't know him see him walk, they wonder how he's able to work at all. I know that he'll have to go on disability probably sooner than later, but I have no idea what to expect or what the process entails? Is there a waiting period and if so, is there any other assistance we can receive to get us through? Will his diagnosis make it easier to get approved? How much money will he be eligible for? We also have two minor children...would they be eligible for any benefit due to his disability? Will he be allowed to work at all while receiving SSDI? I work FT is that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for your help!

Will he be allowed to work at all while receiving SSDI?

I suggest you and your husband visit one of the many local lawyers who focus on obtaining "federal social security" benefits for eligible people. Don't worry about paying a dollar out of pocket, the lawyer will be paid out of the monies that will come from SS.

You'll be able to ask questions relative to all the things that currently befuddle you.

In the meantime, this is the official SS website, where most of the things that puzzle you will be revealed.

Topics · Customer Self-Service

I have no idea what to expect or what the process entails? Is there a waiting period and if so, is there any other assistance we can receive to get us through? Will his diagnosis make it easier to get approved? How much money will he be eligible for? We also have two minor children...would they be eligible for any benefit due to his disability? Will he be allowed to work at all while receiving SSDI? I work FT is that makes any difference.

Never mind all that. You both should read this:

11.00-Neurological-Adult

And have him apply for SSDI right now.

Apply for Benefits, Social Security

The application process will instruct him on what to do about medical documentation. If you and he aren't comfortable with the process, consult a social security attorney immediately.

This isn't something you sit around talking about, it's something you do or it doesn't happen.

Back