NSF check...10 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

joloma

I have been contacted about a check which has my check number on it and is apparently my check...but not by my bank, someone who is trying to collect that check. I do not understand how a check could be presented once and then held for 10 years for collection. Which must be the case as my account was never closed for insufficent funds and is still active today, nor have I been contacted about this check by the bank or anyone else until recently.

While I admit that I have had insufficent checks in the past, never to my knowledge has one gone unpaid. Given the length of time though, I do not have bank records going back that far...nor would I have any other records which would indicate whether this check was paid or not. Is there a statute of limitation on the time that a NSF check be held?

Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thank you:confused:

Originally posted by joloma:
I have been contacted about a check which has my check number on it and is apparently my check...but not by my bank, someone who is trying to collect that check. I do not understand how a check could be presented once and then held for 10 years for collection. Which must be the case as my account was never closed for insufficent funds and is still active today, nor have I been contacted about this check by the bank or anyone else until recently.

While I admit that I have had insufficent checks in the past, never to my knowledge has one gone unpaid. Given the length of time though, I do not have bank records going back that far...nor would I have any other records which would indicate whether this check was paid or not. Is there a statute of limitation on the time that a NSF check be held?

Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thank you:confused:
Who is the person trying to collect on this check and why? There are statutes of limitations on causes of action to recover money. I'm not sure about rules applying to NSF checks but it certainly is a long time. Do they claim to have attempted contact with you before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back