Now trying to change the price

Status
Not open for further replies.

triedtofoolme

I came to an agreement on a purchase price of a home - 55000. I gave them $500 and then yesterday a cashier's check for $50000. My intention was to pay the balance of $4500 at the closing. Today I'm told due to liens on the title they will have to go up in the price - they need $4000 extra dollars, making the purchase price $59000 and me owing them $8500 more dollars.

I did some digging and found out a previous owner bought a water softener, owe $9000 on it, so that company filed a lien. Then I found out that they didn't pay last year's property taxes of $1541.31.

Something ain't right!

They wanted to close today, this afternoon, after I already told them I wasn't giving them any more than what we agreed upon. Somehow the listing agent got me to say that I would pay $56000. Anyway, I called just now, 1 hour before they wanted to do the closing, to postpone it - I said my car wouldn't make it in the rain - she offered to come out here (which is about 18 miles one way out of her way in Jacksonville's rush hour traffic!) and pick me up! OOOoooo, something stinks!

Can't I go to the court house and pay their delinquent property taxes (before these slick people handling this do!) and have them by the proverbial balls? I think it's got something to do with the taxes - couldn't this work in my favor? If I paid their taxes, I would actually have a lien against them and the property I'm trying to buy?! Isn't it possible that they can't ever sell this house till they pay me first? Couldn't I end up with this property for just the cost of the delinquent taxes?

the "lawyer" handling the closing has no record with the Florida Bar - the agent who has been mediating this does have a Florida Broker's license though. I think the "lawyer" is up to no good - he found out I am paying cash and saw dollar signs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back