1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Notice of Claim in NY

Discussion in 'Civil Court, Procedure & Litigation' started by burkett, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burkett

    burkett Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I am having difficulty in finding a model "Notice of Claim" for NY. I have been told that in order to be able to file a lawsuit againt the village I live in I have 90 days to file a Notice of Claim. I called the County Clerk and was told to look on the internet for a model to go by. Here are the details if anyone can assist I would very much appreciate it.

    I live in a rural town in upstate NY - For the past six years the local police, DA's office, Probation Dept and school district have been telling the residents (children and adults) of this town that at age 16 kids can move out of their home without parental consent and basically do what they want. As a result of the children being told this for years even before they reach 16 there are a number of children who have left home, gotten pregnate, quit school etc... There are also a number of cases of the kids moving out of their homes (where there was no abuse or neglect), when the parents asked the police to return these kids, the parents were told by the police that since the kids were 16 the police could not return them home. This recently effected my own family.

    My question is - Do I have grounds to file a lawsuit against the village? I have consulted two attorneys who will not take the case because they say it is to "challanging" to prove that these children made these choices based soley on the advice of the officals in the town. Also I have been told that I need to file a "notice of claim" within 90 days (this is fast approaching) can anyone assist me in how to file a notice of claim?

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.