Not sure where I stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

zefejije

Could someone please advise?
My wife and I have a small home-based county licensed business in California selling wholesale repair parts and a good majority of our customers are elderly. The access road to my home is about 650 feet long with 500 feet of the access road being located on a "deeded easement recorded to my parcel for ingress and egress and public utilities". There are no other instructions except parcel numbers on the deed and the easement is located across a "flag lot" shaped property that is located between my property and the main highway. Without this easement, my parcel would be landlocked which makes the easement absolutely necessary. My property and the flag lot property both use the same road for access to our homes. The deeded easement arrangement makes me the "dominant owner" and the flag lot property the "servient owner". In January of 2010 the servient owner placed 2 very abrupt speed bumps and located them approx. 15 feet apart and approx. 25' from the start of my property. They were placed to try and harass my customers and deter them from continuing business with my company. I believe this because he also has removed the street identification sign that all residences in my county who share a common drive were required to install, back in the late 1990s. The removal was done late last year, as a way to make it more difficult for new customers to find my location. I have made multiple requests to the servient owner and county agencies to correct both the harassments. The county agencies keep directing me towards hiring a lawyer claiming it is a civil matter. Financially, I am not in a position to hire a law firm at this time and I am afraid to speak to my liability company for fear they will just cancel my policy because of the potential for a claim. I have tried personally to file for an injunction to remove the obstacles, to no avail.
Now, a new wrinkle has come up during a discussion with one of my elderly customers. She has complained to me that each time she goes over the speed bumps it causes her pain in both her back and neck. I am now concerned about the possibility of one of my customers filing a lawsuit against me because of the speed bumps causing them physical damage. Also, in my research I have found that home-based businesses are required to be ADA compliant and when I checked with the County planning Department, they tell me that they consider home-based businesses exempt in their codes and regulations. I know the ADA is a federal law and don't think the county can make that exception. So now on top of a possible physical injury suit, I'm also looking at a possible "access" ADA claim.
So, my question is; am I the liable company or the servient owner, who installed the speed bumps that are technically located on his property and could County Services hold some liability? I would surely appreciate any advice I can get regarding this potential matter.

Last edited:
This is YOUR business.

it is NOT a do it yourself project.

That said, no one can assure anyone of their liability or freedom from lawsuit!

Yours is a precarious position to say the least.

Even your position as dominant owner can be jeopardized if your easement does NOT address if your ingress and egress privileges apply to you and your guests, plus your customers.

Most easements are for the use of the dominant owner and his or her guests.

It is rare that such easements allow the same passage for customers, without publishing the specific magic words granting such access!!!!

I suggest you discuss this with an attorney in your area, as the law is like a shifting sand dune across the country on this issue.

Last edited:
Thank you Army judge. I was wondering though, would you mind reading the edited post I did? I tried clarifying some of your questions and adding some more detail.

Thank you Army judge. I was wondering though, would you mind reading the edited post I did? I tried clarifying some of your questions and adding some more detail.

Again, I urge you to speak with a local attorney.

You should do it now, rather than if you get sued!

A pound of cure or an ounce of prevention!

Would you describe a growth on your abdomen on WebMD and seek instructions on how to remove it at home?

You need an attorney.

I can't accurately or properly advise you about this over the Internet. This is too complex for this medium.

Thank you Sir and I appreciate your honesty and analogies! I hate to have to agree with you, but your suggestions do make the best sense. Damn, I hate getting caught up in this kind of crap! Thanks again and have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back