Not sure what category this falls into I'm afraid I may be blackballed by new doctor I had a dispute

Anonymous27

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
I moved to Shelbyville, KY from Louisville, KY and wanted to establish a new PCP as I am a senior with multiple medical issues. After my first appointment, I was very dissatisfied with the doctor. I contacted office after appointment and they would not provide any contact info for me to get in touch with her. I found a way to email her through website for my chart. I admit I used a poor choice of words, but I was very upset, in pain, and did not feel like she had provided the care I needed. She kept wanting to schedule more appointments when on that appointment. I was thinking more copays, more money, and delaying my health issue's resolution. My money is very tight since I retired. I can barely walk, and I have hearing loss. One particular serious issue I mentioned kept getting waived off "due to time restraints, need to schedule another appointment. Anyway, I told her in the email to cancel the appointment and relayed my grievances and that I would find another doctor. Obviously, due to my poor choice of words she was insulted and that I questioned her motivation and abilities to care for me. Actually, she prescribed some medication that is known to cause side effects identical to the issue I had. She responded in length saying that she would not expect to see me again. A couple of days later after I had calmed down and reevaluated, I felt badly about having said the things that I did and offered a very sincere apology via email and asked if she would accept me back as a patient. I received a message from one of her staff that she would NOT accept be back as a patient. I responded,"Then, I will search for another physician that can care for my needs. Thank you." Since then, I have made an appointment with another physician in the area. My concern is from what I have read online is that you can be "blackballed" by a physician and your name ruined in the medical community, which limits your ability to receive care, whether it be for medications, surgery, or whatever. I am concerned that she may be vindictive and do this to me even though I apologized. I do not wish to go back to her at all, but I do not want any problems with future caregivers due to any vindictiveness she may have towards me. I had blood tests while I was there that I don't want to have to duplicate so I need those to go to the new provider, but I don't want any comments by her going to new provider. What should I do now?

Stop worrying about things that might happen. There's time enough to worry when they actually do happen. If that doctor does blackball you, you'll have legal remedies.

As for your records, if you can't get them off the doctor's patient portal you can just go to the office and ask for them in writing. Probably a form there to use. You are entitled to them by law and the clerk doesn't need the doctor's permission to give them to you.

KY statute 422.317:

"422.317 Copy of patient's medical record to be supplied on patient's written request -- Exception for Department of Corrections. (1) Upon a patient's written request, a hospital licensed under KRS Chapter 216B or a health care provider shall provide, without charge to the patient, a copy of the patient's medical record. A copying fee, not to exceed one dollar ($1) per page, may be charged by the health care provider for furnishing a second copy of the patient's medical record upon request either by the patient or the patient's attorney or the patient's authorized representative."

Kentucky Revised Statutes - Chapter 422

I moved to Shelbyville, KY from Louisville, KY and wanted to establish a new PCP as I am a senior with multiple medical issues. After my first appointment, I was very dissatisfied with the doctor. I contacted office after appointment and they would not provide any contact info for me to get in touch with her. I found a way to email her through website for my chart. I admit I used a poor choice of words, but I was very upset, in pain, and did not feel like she had provided the care I needed. She kept wanting to schedule more appointments when on that appointment. I was thinking more copays, more money, and delaying my health issue's resolution. My money is very tight since I retired. I can barely walk, and I have hearing loss. One particular serious issue I mentioned kept getting waived off "due to time restraints, need to schedule another appointment. Anyway, I told her in the email to cancel the appointment and relayed my grievances and that I would find another doctor. Obviously, due to my poor choice of words she was insulted and that I questioned her motivation and abilities to care for me. Actually, she prescribed some medication that is known to cause side effects identical to the issue I had. She responded in length saying that she would not expect to see me again. A couple of days later after I had calmed down and reevaluated, I felt badly about having said the things that I did and offered a very sincere apology via email and asked if she would accept me back as a patient. I received a message from one of her staff that she would NOT accept be back as a patient. I responded,"Then, I will search for another physician that can care for my needs. Thank you." Since then, I have made an appointment with another physician in the area. My concern is from what I have read online is that you can be "blackballed" by a physician and your name ruined in the medical community, which limits your ability to receive care, whether it be for medications, surgery, or whatever. I am concerned that she may be vindictive and do this to me even though I apologized. I do not wish to go back to her at all, but I do not want any problems with future caregivers due to any vindictiveness she may have towards me. I had blood tests while I was there that I don't want to have to duplicate so I need those to go to the new provider, but I don't want any comments by her going to new provider. What should I do now?
Yours really isn't a legal issue....more of a paranoia issue. You have an appointment with another doctor so the previous doctor obviously has not "blackballed" you...BTW I never heard of doctors doing something like that. The new doctor will give you a form so s/he can get your medical records from the other doctor.

I do recommend that you make the office aware that you have lots of questions/concerns so they can allot extra time for your appointment, otherwise you will run into the same issue with this doctor.

Back