Not sure how to proceed or what type of attorney needed

Laura P

Jurisdiction
New York
For about 6 -7 years my adult son and our family have been harassed by an old high school friend of his. There is a long history of mental illness of the man harassing and threatening. Up until this point, the police have been able to do nothing but make a record of the complaints because he always blocks his number. It has continued to escalate and the threats have now become more serious.

Late yesterday he used a woman's phone he asked to borrow and sent my son a message that said " you better watch your back because you never know when something can happen to you or your parents"

My son responded to the text asking who it was because he didn't recognize the number. The woman said a strange man asked to borrow her phone and she didn't really think anything of lending it. When she saw what was texted she became upset and went to the county sheriff's office to report it.

They contacted my son and apparently she was able to identify him. So it appears he will finally be arrested. My question is, what kind of attorney should I speak to to make sure my family is protected and safe. My daughter has autism and I worry she would not recognize that she is in danger because she knew him from the past. He has boasted in his texts that it would be easy to get at her because of these reasons and it terrifies me. TIA

My question is, what kind of attorney should I speak to to make sure my family is protected and safe.

Based upon your recitation of events, an attorney appears to be of limited use in this matter.

You should seek an appointment with your district attorney or local prosecutor. If an appointment is arranged, you should bring proof of the prior issues with the deranged maniac.

The county sheriff might be able to assist you or your local police agency. If you investigate that route, seek an appointment with the sheriff or chief, or other high ranking police official.

You might consider speaking with a couple of private investigators, licensed bodyguards, and/or personal security consultants. Once you've revealed your issue, a licensed security service might be able to arrange protection for you and your family,

The woman said a strange man asked to borrow her phone and she didn't really think anything of lending it.

That might be the most bizarre part of the whole story. What sane person would allow "a strange man [or woman] to borrow [his/her] phone" for the purpose of sending a text message?

My question is, what kind of attorney should I speak to to make sure my family is protected and safe.

No attorney is going to protect you. If you want to seek a protective order, you don't really need an attorney for that.

Beyond that, I'd suggest that you all change your phone numbers. If all that's been happening is phone communication, that'll put a stop to that.

That might be the most bizarre part of the whole story. What sane person would allow "a strange man [or woman] to borrow [his/her] phone" for the purpose of sending a text message?

No attorney is going to protect you. If you want to seek a protective order, you don't really need an attorney for that.

Beyond that, I'd suggest that you all change your phone numbers. If all that's been happening is phone communication, that'll put a stop to that.

According to the woman it was at a community college and she didn't think much of it.

Not just phone contact, he has been to my house and my son's apartment. Just has been impossible to prove it was him. It's hard to get a clear picture on security cameras, at least one that satisfies the police. From what I understand, I need for him to be charged for a protective order. Hopefully we get that this time. I just figured maybe an attorney could help guide us through it.

Funny thing is my son reported it to his local police station and they said they didn't see it as a threat but more of a friend checking that all is well. The girl reported it to the sheriff's office unbeknownst to my son and they definitely saw it as a threat. So fingers crossed it all finally ends here.

Back