Criminal Trials, Hearings Normal court procedures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertae

My son was arrested on November 24, 2006 on DUI charges. His girlfriend whom he had been living with for 7 years had become a crack addict and she jumped from the van they were in, moving at 60 miles an hour because he wouldn't take her to get some crack. When the Police and EMS arrived the policeman came directly to him and wanted to take him for a breath test. He had never been in trouble and he had not been drinking. He wouldn't go to for the blood test because he wanted to be with her so he was arrested. He is innocent so he requested a jury trial.
He isn't working so the court appointed him an attorney who went to pre-trial with him , The DA said his next court date would be 5 months away, which would bring the date at around October, 2007. Meanwhile he got a letter and all his records from his Attorney, stateing she would no longer be in private practice and she had notified the court to appoint him another Attorney. She didn't quit being an attorney, she went to work for a firm or something. He has called the court and the Judge's office always tells him there are no attorneys available. Why would the Judge let her quit if he didn't have another attorney to take my case? (She quit on August 15th).
How long can they prolong this thing?
How long can the Judge take to give him an attorney?
Thanks

Q: Why would the Judge let her quit if he didn't have another attorney to take my case?

A: YOUR case? Anyway, the answer is: "...she went to work for a firm or something...."

Q: How long can they prolong this thing?

A: Until they get you a lawyer.

Q: How long can the Judge take to give him an attorney?

A: However long it takes.

Yes, she went to work for a firm before she had this job finished. That seems very unethical to me. You see there is the small fact that there is no guilt envolved and when defense quits in midstream there is little chance for justice.
Second, Courts should have legal representation available at all times, It should not take 3 months for the judge to appoint an attorney.
If an attorney accepts a case he/she should be legally dedicated to see it through unless there is a conflict.

Third, Your quote, - " Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance."
I believe our tax dollars pay for the things our government must provide when they are so outrageously expensive that we can'not afford them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back