non resident with expired vehicle inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2ouw8n4

I am a resident of Virginia and was visiting my mother in the hospital in Philadelphia.

While parked on a city street in Philadelphia, PA, I received a citation for having an expired Virginai vehicle inspection sticker. It is a $100.00 fine.

The state (VA) and the inspection identification number was written on the citation.

I admit the Virginai inspection sticker had expired at the end of May 2006. I just hadn't realized that it was expired and immediatly had the vehicle inspected upon returning to Virginia after the trip.

My question is:
Is the City of Philadelphia, or the State of Pennsylvania able to enforce another State's vehicle inspection requirements? In other words, can I be fined for an expired Virginia vehicle inspection sticker in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania?

Thanks for any legitimate help

Update

I am contesting the ticket due to Title 12 Traffic Code §12-916 of The Philadelphia Code states:

§12-916. Additional Parking Prohibitions.
(2) No person shall park a vehicle on any public highway if the person is not licensed as required by 75 Pa. C.S.A. Section 1501, if the vehicle is not registered as required by 75 Pa. C.S.A. Section 1301, if the vehicle does not display a registration plate as required by 75 Pa. C.S.A. Section 1332, [or] if the vehicle is not covered by financial responsibility as required by 75 Pa. C.S.A. Section 1786, or if the vehicle does not display a currently valid certificate of inspection as required by 75 Pa. C.S.A. Section 4703.

The inspection requirement in §12-916 references the requirement stated in Pennsylvania Code 75 Pa. C.S.A. Section 4703.

Pennsylvania Code 75 Pa. C.S.A. Section 4703 states:

Subchapter A. Inspection Requirements
§ 4703. Operation of vehicle without official certificate of inspection.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this section, no motor vehicle required to bear current registration plates issued by this Commonwealth and no farm vehicle with a gross weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 17,000 pounds for which a Type I biennial certificate of exemption has been issued shall be driven and no trailer required to bear current registration plates issued by this Commonwealth shall be moved on a highway and no mass transit vehicle shall be operated unless the vehicle displays a currently valid certificate of inspection issued under this chapter.

Therefore, the inspection requirement should only be enforced on Pennsylvania licensed vehicles.

I am awaiting the response from the City on my request to have the fine dismissed.

update?

what ever happened with your ticket? the same thing happened to me - right down to the expired inspection! i'd love to hear any advice you might have for me.
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back