Non disclosure help / Idea Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

theavidone

Hi

Thanks in advance to anyone that has advice for me :)

I reciently moved from one Canadian city to another and was looking workshop space for rent. The person who showed my the space asked me what I did for work and when I told them they went on to explain a project that they were working on that I might want to be involved in. I politely listened to the person, told them it sounded like a good idea and went on my way. Later that day I looked at another space and decided to rent it. Several weeks later my wife recieved a phone call from the first renter who discussed the project with me stating the project was moving forward without me and any action on my part would result in a lawsuit. This person continued to leave threating messages stating that if I did not contact them that I would face legal action and go to jail. I sent an email to this person stating that I am not interested in their project and wished them luck.
Another message was left staing that this was my last chance to contact this person. The next day I called this person and asked if they had recieved my email, which they said they didn't and asked me to re send the email to a different address and also requested I sign a non disclosure agreement.

My question is:

Do I have to entertain this person any longer? I am sick of these threats and and not interested in this person, their project, or signing any contracts. My understanding is that a NDA is for two parties that want to work together and should be issued before the idea is talked about. If this person told me without me signing anything then isn't that a public disclosure and not my problem? I can't see it fair that all I did was be polite and listen to someone and now they are holding it against me.

If I completely remove myself from this person and never return any of their calls can that be used against me in any way.

Thanks again

You may want to contact a Canadian lawyer.

I understand that Canadian and US law is not the same but do you think that it is even worth contacting a lawyer for this problem? I feel I have done nothing wrong. I can't be sued for listening to something someone told me can I? I don't really want to spend any money or time on this as I find it really silly.

This is not legal Advice!

Hey Theavidone,

Your Quote: I sent an email to this person stating that I am not interested in their project and wished them luck.
Another message was left stating that this was my last chance to contact this person. The next day I called this person and asked if they had received my email, which they said they didn't and asked me to re send the email to a different address and also requested I sign a non disclosure agreement.

My question is:

Do I have to entertain this person any longer? I am sick of these threats and and not interested in this person, their project, or signing any contracts.

Simple answer is this. You have been more than fair in sending an e-mail and do not have to "Entertain" this person. For your peace of mind, if you are truly not interested in this persons idea, then sign the agreement and let them move on but stress once you have signed, if this person keeps bothering you then you have no alternative than to get an injunction out for harassment.

That's my opinion good luck.

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back