Consumer Law, Warranties Non-Compete Agreement Problem - this cant be enforceable

Status
Not open for further replies.

absentmindedjwc

I am a Web Developer (contractor) in Illinois.

I was given a bunch of papers to sign for a client today (a stack of papers), I read over them quickly, but did not have a lot of time. Needless to say, I discovered that I signed myself into a non-compete agreement when I got home.

Now, working in this business, you cannot deal with noncompete agreements, as any limit of clientele will kill you in the end (not to mention, you end up boxing yourself in)

How should I approach the client with this? Can we modify the contract after it has already been signed? (as I said.. I cannot have anything limiting me for future clients, I will take this to court if need be)

Regardless, the conditions of the non-compete clause are insane. Section as follows:

Receiving Party shall not enter into an employment agreement, independent contractor agreement or any other agreement for compensation with a competing entity. Nor shall Receiving Party enter into a development or purchase agreement, in whole or in part, with any company or individual which may become a competitor of the Disclosing Party. This non compete restriction shall continue for a period of not less than 20 years.

There is no way that that can be enforceable, since from what I understand, the non-compete normally has to have reasonable limits (geological, duration, and type of activity).. the limits in this one is.. well.. everywhere on the planet, 20 years (really???), and any activity with anyone that MIGHT become a competitor at some point in time.

Thanks

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back