No rental agreement. Lives rent free

B

BrookeD28

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My bother is living rent free in a home that was left to my mother in a will. My mother now has to sell the house to pay off beneficiaries of the will and my brother is claiming squatter rights, because he has mail sent there. Can anyone help?! What can my mother do? She offered him to stay in the house as kind of the grounds keeper. As there is no mortgage, my unemployed brother has taken full advantage of the kindness/ignorance of my mother.

There is no such thing as "squatters rights". Your mother may begin the process of eviction for your brother if she wishes him to leave. Because he is not paying rent she does not have to provide him a 60 day written notice as one would to terminate a month to month tenancy in Georgia.
It is a relatively easy process to evict someone in Georgia. If she "googles" "dispossessory eviction" for her county information should be readily available.

Gail

Agree. Begin the eviction process immediately. The court clerk can provide a ton of information about the process. Do it right and don't skip anything or you may have to start over.

Back