Recovery of Premises No Legal 60 Day Notice or Deposit back

Status
Not open for further replies.

acorona831

We had been living in our home for over 3 years and I received an email from my landlord that he was selling the home and needed us to vacate the home in 35 days. I did some research and told him I needed a legal notice and that my rights gave me 60 days according to the California Tenant laws. After a week he responded (again by email) ok 60 days from the day I received the email. I felt pressured to leave and stressed out trying to find a new home in the Bay Area in California where rent prices are surging. They did the inspection 3 weeks before the move out day (by Law they can't do this more than two weeks before) and I called to explain this but all I received was a hang up. I finally found a new home and moved out and now it has been 18 days and I have not received my deposit and guess what… I found an ad for our old home to be rented $200 more than we were renting it for. I have 21 days to get my deposit back and when we bumped into the landlord he stated "I didn't like the way the cleaning company cleaned it so I had to get it re cleaned so I have not had a chance to send back the deposit, oh and we decided to re rent". Really? We left the home in good condition nothing outside the normal wear and tear. And to top it off the house had a leak from the upstairs bathroom to the dining room downstairs (I don't know how healthy that is).

I was late on the rent mid last year for about a couple of days because I was laid off, after explaining this to them they said they understood and I just paid them a late fee of $100.

I feel like I was taken advantage of here, and I don't know if it was because that time I paid late almost a year ago or because they wanted to raise the rent. Never the less I have not received my deposit and I feel like some laws were broken here. Can someone please assist.

As of right now you don't have a problem. There are a few days left for your deposit to be returned.

You are unhappy about having to move, but it doesn't appear the landlord has done anything wrong. Not yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back