Next Step?

T

ther

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hey,
I posted here about a month ago asking advice about a landlord who didn't return my security deposit within the allowed timeframe, and used a copy and paste email to say they were waiting to get the final invoices for the property just before the deadline passed. Since this did not apply to my particular property, and was sent to all tenants in all properties, I informed them that I did not believe that it was an accurate accounting of my old property. Further, they tried to rent the property to other tenants before the deadline, and when that failed did almost 3000$ of repairs to the house for which they charged against my security deposit. They demanded I pay or face a bad credit reporting and collection in court. I wrote a letter outlining my complaints and demanding my security deposits back under NC General Statute 42-52 and delivered it by certified mail. I informed them they had until 8/5/16 to respond to these claims, and I haven't heard from them since. This leads me to believe that their is validity to my claims and they don't want to incriminate themselves further by responding. I'm okay not going to court, but I fear that if I don't follow through with my demand that they will issue a negative report to my credit and come after me anyway. What is the next step I should take to keep this from happening? If I have to go to court I am willing to do that.

Ignoring you is not an admission of anything, at least not one that will help you in court.

I have no idea what we told you in your last post because you've logged on as a guest and didn't provide a link to it.

At this point, if you want to see any of your money, you'll need to sue in small claims court. Winning in small claims court will avoid bad credit, doing nothing won't.

You apparently know where to find the Security Deposit statute, now look up your county small claims website for forms and instructions.

I suggest you first fill out the complaint form, don't file it yet, and attach it to a final demand letter giving a deadline date to return X dollar or you will file in court the day after the deadline date. Don't bluff. Be prepared to follow through.

I suggest you look up the property in the county records for the exact name of the owner.

Back