New Mexico exhaust sound level clarification

Taj H

Jurisdiction
New Mexico
I was wondering if the exhaust noise level restrictions (i think its 70 decibels) are when the car is idling or revving, and if you can add an aftermarket exhaust that increases the sound of the car

Here's the statute:

66-3-844. Mufflers; prevention of noise; emission control devices.

A. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

B. The muffler, emission control equipment or device, engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.

C. Every registered gasoline-fueled motor vehicle manufactured or assembled, commencing with the 1968 models, shall at all times be equipped and maintained in good working order with the factory-installed devices and equipment or their replacements designed to prevent, reduce or control exhaust emissions or air pollution.

Paragraph A is subjective and I found no case law on it.

You can google decibel level charts and get plenty of them. 70 to 75 decibels is pretty tame. 80 and up gets annoying.

What level attracts the attention of a cop is anybody's guess. But if you push the envelope too far you could find yourself cited for it.

I was wondering if the exhaust noise level restrictions (i think its 70 decibels) are when the car is idling or revving, and if you can add an aftermarket exhaust that increases the sound of the car
For the first question, the answer is "yes".

Thanks for the answers, i wasnt sure if id get arrested going one decibel over lol. Im planning on getting an exhaust that gets up to 75-80 midway up the rpm range when a few feet away from the car so i think it'll be fine as long as i dont rev it like crazy

I suggest you also buy a decibel meter and not just rely on manufacturer's of seller's specs. Carry it with you in your car in case you are stopped.

Come to think of it, I should probably get one. My Viper is pretty loud. Though I haven't been pulled over for it.

Thanks for the answers, i wasnt sure if id get arrested going one decibel over lol. Im planning on getting an exhaust that gets up to 75-80 midway up the rpm range when a few feet away from the car so i think it'll be fine as long as i dont rev it like crazy

One might interpret the statute that Jack quoted as prohibiting a modified exhaust system that is louder than stock.

Personally, I would consider such an exhaust system to be producing "unusual noise", in violation of the statute.

Back