1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

New Mexico exhaust sound level clarification

Discussion in 'Car Sales, Dealers, Repairs, Lemon Law' started by Taj H, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Taj H

Taj H Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    New Mexico
    I was wondering if the exhaust noise level restrictions (i think its 70 decibels) are when the car is idling or revving, and if you can add an aftermarket exhaust that increases the sound of the car

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Here's the statute:

Paragraph A is subjective and I found no case law on it.

You can google decibel level charts and get plenty of them. 70 to 75 decibels is pretty tame. 80 and up gets annoying.

What level attracts the attention of a cop is anybody's guess. But if you push the envelope too far you could find yourself cited for it.

3. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

For the first question, the answer is "yes".

4. Taj H

Taj H Law Topic Starter New Member

Thanks for the answers, i wasnt sure if id get arrested going one decibel over lol. Im planning on getting an exhaust that gets up to 75-80 midway up the rpm range when a few feet away from the car so i think it’ll be fine as long as i dont rev it like crazy

5. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

I suggest you also buy a decibel meter and not just rely on manufacturer's of seller's specs. Carry it with you in your car in case you are stopped.

Come to think of it, I should probably get one. My Viper is pretty loud. Though I haven't been pulled over for it.

6. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known Member

One might interpret the statute that Jack quoted as prohibiting a modified exhaust system that is louder than stock.

Personally, I would consider such an exhaust system to be producing "unusual noise", in violation of the statute.