Rent, Utilities never received bill from landlord over water bill

sallymorgan

My lease states I have to pay the water bill.
But it is in the landlords name and I was told I would receive a bill each month and to add the bill to my rent.

I received 3 bills (all of which i paid on time with rent) and never received another bill. I have been at this residence for a year now.

I received a letter in the mail saying they were going to start the eviction process on the grounds of unpaid rent in the amount of $292. My rent is $549 and I have paid in full and on time every month so it was obvious the "unpaid rent" was the water bill. I have all of my receipts to prove it.

I inquired over the phone about my bill that I wasn't receiving only once but I also have the time stamps and phone recordings.

So what I am asking is what are my rights regarding this? Should I be obligated to pay them if they fail to bill me?

Thank you in advance.

Yes, you can still be held to pay for the water you used over the past months even if you didn't receive the bill on time. Water service isn't free. Essentially you are receiving the bill now.
It is likely the landlord has already paid the bill and is seeking reimbursement from you.

Back