Business Debt, Collections Nevada Trash Monopoly Liens Property Without Proper Notice

beachbabi

Jurisdiction
Nevada
The only trash company in Las Vegas, Republic Services of Nevada has imposed several liens on my property for non payment. The home was a rental for over 8yrs and the tenants were responsible for trash service. However, bills were never sent to the property address, nor did I ever receive notification of billing, or the liens. Apparently they were sent to an old address of mine. I feel that Republic Services did not take reasonable measures to notify me, as they failed to send even one notice, or bill to the property address where they claim they were providing service. The property was vacant for an entire year of which I didn't need or use their service. However, I continued to be billed and liened because my electricity was on at the property to make sure my pool pump was running. Republic Services has told me that if you own property in Las Vegas they are required service of which can not be cancelled, or discontinued, even if you don't need or use their service. They contend that they are contracted to pick up trash regardless of payment in order to keep a sanitary public environment.

Additionally, Republic Services only sporadically picks up trash at my address. Since I took repossession of the property there have been several instances where on regular trash days, Republic left my curbside garbage and recycling untouched. Last week I placed my garbage curbside before leaving town for a week. When I returned I was horrified to see my trash scattered up the street. When I contacted Republic their response was it wasn't bundled properly and did not fall into the scope of their criteria for pick up. I responded that if they have been granted the authority to lien my property due to trash having the propensity to cause a public health hazard, then shouldn't they be obligated to pick it up in any state? It seems rather contradictory to me that they have to pick up garbage to prevent a public health hazard, but yet they don't unless it falls into the scope of their criteria. I don't see how they can have it both ways. My liens are in excess of $3500. I would like to know if I have cause to dispute these fees.

Are you saying the former tenants never paid their bill, or did the problem begin once they moved out and the property was vacant?
If the tenants failed to pay it is likely you will have to pay the bill but could potentially recover that amount from the tenants.
As for the company policies regarding billing and collection you would have to argue those points in court.
Regarding the lien, they would have had to obtain a judgment, and you apparently had no knowledge of the collection attempt. You could look into how they claim to have served you notice and possibly get s new hearing regarding the lien.

Back