neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noreen

We recently went before our town zoning board and filed a permit for a Bed and Breakfast, which is a allowed business in our area. I found out tonight...that our neighbors ( know for causing trouble and starting petitions) started a petition against us. We live in a neighborhood of a total of 10 houses. (they did not get any signatures) At the planning board meeting our application was approved and they were about to vote on it when our neighbor wanted to have a say in what type of hedge we planted and type of sign. We pulled the application and went to an attorney, we will refile the application and he will be there...I was wondering if there is any recourse for the neighbor...she is a trouble maker and has done this to others before us...I want her to know that she has not scared me or stopped me...but want it done in a legal manner..any suggestion that does not cost a fortune...thanks by the way these two people are now watching every move that we make and we are unable to speak in our yards because they are listening....We have no plans to move..we searched long and hard for this house and we want to stay here....

Well, you have to understand that you will likely face opposition by changing the feel of the neighborhood. If you want to operate a B&B in a row of all residential homes, then you will invite opposition. If they want to sit in their yard and look at your house all day it is their right to do so. There are legal ways to make such a process you describe a hassle but understand that this will be the price you pay for being the first.

Nobody can answer your question appropriately without knowing the area, the local laws, etc. and this is not simple. You seem to have been able to do what you want and it seems that your neighbor might be fighting an uphill battle even though she can continue to do things that might make you feel uncomfortable. Perhaps after this is all done they might just give up in time...

Originally posted by Noreen
We recently went before our town zoning board and filed a permit for a Bed and Breakfast, which is a allowed business in our area. I found out tonight...that our neighbors ( know for causing trouble and starting petitions) started a petition against us. We live in a neighborhood of a total of 10 houses. (they did not get any signatures) At the planning board meeting our application was approved and they were about to vote on it when our neighbor wanted to have a say in what type of hedge we planted and type of sign. We pulled the application and went to an attorney, we will refile the application and he will be there...I was wondering if there is any recourse for the neighbor...she is a trouble maker and has done this to others before us...I want her to know that she has not scared me or stopped me...but want it done in a legal manner..any suggestion that does not cost a fortune...thanks by the way these two people are now watching every move that we make and we are unable to speak in our yards because they are listening....We have no plans to move..we searched long and hard for this house and we want to stay here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back