Neighborhood Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circe74

I have two separate issues, and am just looking for any thoughts as to legal rights.

The first one is a major problem for my neighbor. We live on opposite sides of a dead end street. Our houses face the main road, and the dead end just extends as far as the sides of our houses. Behind us is a large span of private property. Both of the sides of our houses have rows of large trees on the city's property near the street, across the sidewalk and beyond our property lines. Neighborhood kids have taken to climbing my neighbor's trees and hanging out in there...one even recently carved a threatening message about another child into the bark of the tree. They also ride their bikes all the grass beneath the trees to the point where my neighbor doesn't even bother to water it anymore, since it's dying anyway. They've told the kids to please stay out of the trees and off the lawn, but one of the children's parents came over and told her that the trees are on the city's property, not hers, so their kids can be in the trees all they want and she can't say anything about it. Mind you, these kids are in the trees all day, every day, making their dogs bark and making a general nuisance of themselves. The little girl has actually taken to telling all the other neighborhood kids who would courteously NOT climb the trees that they have every right, because it's all the city's property, so no one can complain. Does anyone know the actual legality of that? Definitely it's not her property, but I'd thought that the homeowner adjacent to the city's property had the responsibility to maintain the land and stewardship over it (and therefore every right to tell the kids to get out of the trees and off the grass). Am I offbase?

The other issue we have is that the landowner behind us turned the gorgeous span of forested land into a huge dirtbike track. HIS house is quite far away from the track, but he built one seven-foot high hill directly behind by back yard fence (just barely 11 feet away from the fence, so no easement rules would apply). I actually would respect his right to do whatever he wants with his land, annoying or not, since we live in a pretty rural area. However, recently a bunch of teenagers from the neighborhood have taken to trespassing and riding their dirtbikes on the tracks day and night. We've caught them urinating in plain sight and have complained to the police several times, finally being told that there's nothing the police can do because it's on private property and the owner hasn't complained. We'd complain to the owner of the property, but some neighbors had complained before about the dirtbiking (and the previous owner of my home had complained when the hill by my fence was built) and the guy just brushed it off and said he'd do whatever he wanted. The police told us that even though we know the kids don't live on that property and are trespassing, unless the owner of the property complains about them it's actually NOT trespassing. And they said that unless it's nighttime, the kids can make any amount of noise they want, so they aren't disturbing the peace. (These aren't normal dirtbikes or ATVs...the dirtbikes are unbearably shrill to the point where our dogs go nuts every time the kids are back there riding.) Any thoughts about what we can do? Even neighbors down the road and not right near this problem hate the dirtbikes because of all the noise, and my neighbors nearby and I can't even sit in our backyards and enjoy a sunny day because of all the noise and dust. Thanks for any thoughts!

Let's start with the second issue. The police is right, if the landowner doesn't complain about those kids trespassing, they cannot do anything about it. He has the right to let anyone onto his property. Unless there is a city ordinance about using ATVs on private property or those kids break any other laws, the police cannot do anything about it.

But you might have claims against the landowner. There is a tort action commonly called "nuisance" (an unreasonable interference with the use and enjoyment of private land) that makes it a legal wrong if someone creates a situation that makes it impossible for you to enjoy possession of your own land. Noise, odors, pollution etc. can all be "unreasonable interferences." In a lawsuit a lot of factors would be evaluated to discern if there is a nuisance or not.

What you should do is approach the landowner of that piece of land and try to reason with him about doing something, telling him that you might otherwise consider a lawsuit against him.

The first issue goes into the same direction. If the trees those kids are playing in are in fact city property it is the city's sole responisbility. But if the activities of those kids on city property rise to the level of a "nuisance" for the owner of the adjacent property, the city could be sued to do something about this. I guess it will be a lot more difficult to prove and finally win such a suit against the city, but what the neighbor should do is advise the city about the problem and find out if the city has any ideas what to do about it. In many cities there are ordinances prohibiting certain conduct in regards to city property, so it might just be a question of enforcing those ordinances. For example, there might very well be an ordinance prohibiting people to climb city owned trees. Then the neighbor would only have to get the police to enforce it.

Is there anything the police should be expected to do about this? Wouldn't the dirtbiking be considered disturbing the peace or something? The police just tell us that there's nothing they can do, that if it's not at night then it's not breaking any noise ordinance. But if I could sue for nuisance reasons, wouldn't those same reasons apply as to why the police should stop this from going on at all?

The police is charged with enforcing public laws, or in other words, they handle disputes between the public in general and an individual who is breaking the law. The settling of disputes between private parties is not part of the duties of the police.

"Private nuisance" is a civil tort action, or in other words, a dispute between two private individuals: you and the other landowner. The public is not concerned about that dispute and only provides you the forum where you can settle the dispute: the courts.

If on the other hand, there is a local or state law that those kids are breaking, the issue will also be a matter between the public in general (who passed that law) and the individuals who break it. Then the police and the public prosecutor would have to get involved. That is why I said it depends on the law: if there is a state or local law defining what these kids are doing as breaking the peace, disorderly conduct or any other definition, then the police can and should do something about it. But it really depends on the law. Often laws of this kind are more focused on what people do on public land and not so concerned about what they do on private land.

Therefore, what constitutes a "private nuisance" doesn't necessarily have to constitute a breach of peace or however this is called in your jurisdiction.

Dirtbike Nuisance

I have a similar problem. I live in a mobile home park where one of the tenants have 2 dirtbikes and a four wheeler. On any given day, the mother and her one year old son ride one dirtbike, the daughter rides the other dirtbike and the daughters friend rides the four wheeler. They will ride through the park for hours upon hours driving me virtually insane. I have complained to the landowners who live adjacent to the property in a brick home, therefore, the noise reduction between their brick home and my mobile home are two different stories.

When it rains, they will ride through the mud, creating big potholes in the driveway leading to my home. I asked them to please not do this, but it seems like my request just lit a fire under their belts. I then complained to the landowners, whom I pay monthly rent to and they said they would talk with them. About 5 minutes after I called the landowners, the unruly mother got on her riding lawnmower, lifted the blade, and rode it around for the rest of the day.

They continue to circle the park, now reving their motors when they drive by my lot. I called the landowner again to complain and they said they asked them not to do this and my only resort was to call the police. I called the police, and they informed me that they could not do anything since this is private property. (The woman's brother is one of our small community police officers)

Do you have any advice for me?

This is very difficult if the landowner does not want to get involved. Basically itr is the same as I have written above, the legal recourse is a suit for private nuisance, which can be brought against the neighbors and theoretically even against the landlord. But you must know if you want to antagonize the landlord as well. The first thing I advise in these things is to band together with other renters who might be affected. There is strength in numbers. Get your neighbors on your side and complain to the landlord all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back