Neighbor Wants To Move Retaining Wall Near Property Line

timmystan3

Jurisdiction
California
My mom's residential property in San Diego, purchased 2 years ago, is separated from the neighbor's property by retaining walls on both the north and south side. The north side is higher up the hill, the south side lower down the hill. The home is over 50 years old and the retaining walls are original and generally 3 ft to 4 ft high above grade. When purchased it was assumed the retaining walls were on the property line and everything in between was my mom's property. The new neighbor on the south noticed a survey monument in the sidewalk marking the property line and realized if it was accurate they could move the retaining wall closer to my mom's property and gain 1.5 ft (for a little extra parking room). A surveyor confirmed the monument is accurate and does mark the property line. So the retaining wall that holds up my mom's yard is roughly 1.5 ft inside the neighbor's yard.
My mom prefers things stay as they are but also realizes she must live next to them for many years to come and does not want to make an enemy. I am looking for laws, regulations, or any reasons to tell the neighbor no they can't do the project. Ideas:

1) Does adverse possession apply? The yard has been defined by the retaining walls for 50 years and property taxes have been paid. Part of what confuses me on this is that the monuments in the sidewalk don't match up to the retaining walls. It's as if the entire yard was shifted about 1.5 ft at the south edge and about 1 ft at the north edge, both shifts are to the south. I speculate the shift have been done by the developer to place the retaining wall footing, in this case the toe of the footing, right up against the property line which leaves the above ground portion of the wall about 1.5 ft from the PL.

2) Tearing down then replacing the existing retaining wall, on the neighbor's property, will require excavating and digging up my mom's yard since the wall holds back 3 ft to 4 ft of earth. The excavation will likely have to be sloped back so it will go roughly 4 ft into my mom's yard. In some areas this excavation could get within 3 ft to 4 ft of the slab on grade foundation of my mom's house. This could be risky and potentially cause damage to the foundation if supporting soil is excavated.

3) If we did agree to allow the work, technically would the property size be changed and the deed require updating?

1) Does adverse possession apply? The yard has been defined by the retaining walls for 50 years and property taxes have been paid.
How are you so confident about your mom paying taxes on that part of the property? Your mom is paying taxes on the property that is defined by the survey markers (which are placed based on the title to the property).

2) Tearing down then replacing the existing retaining wall, on the neighbor's property, will require excavating and digging up my mom's yard since the wall holds back 3 ft to 4 ft of earth. The excavation will likely have to be sloped back so it will go roughly 4 ft into my mom's yard. In some areas this excavation could get within 3 ft to 4 ft of the slab on grade foundation of my mom's house. This could be risky and potentially cause damage to the foundation if supporting soil is excavated.
Negotiate.

3) If we did agree to allow the work, technically would the property size be changed and the deed require updating?
Huh? As I mentioned, the survey markers are placed based on the description of the land in the deed/title. There is no change to the actual property ownership.

Another option is that, if your mom really doesn't want things to change, then she could offer to buy the 1.5' strip of property.

1) Does adverse possession apply?

It might. See the requirements at:

California Adverse Possession Laws - FindLaw

But guess what. If your Mom wants to enforce adverse possession she'll have to hire a lawyer and engage in a prolonged court battle that will cost her many thousands of dollars. All the neighbor has to do is start digging.

This could be risky and potentially cause damage to the foundation if supporting soil is excavated.

There's no question in that paragraph. Again, all the neighbor has to do is start digging. Your Mom will have to seek an injunction to stop any excavation on her side.

You'll have to check the "legal description" on the deed and in the county records. As Zigner suggests, her property may already be defined by the platted property lines regardless of where the walls are.

She ought to check the uphill property line to see if gained or lost any property due to that wall.

Easy enough. The county will have the plat map of the lot and its dimensions. All you have to do is measure from that survey marker.

That's an assumption. I haven't checked her property records so I don't know that for a fact.
I agree - it's an assumption, however I'm assuming this because the survey markers are placed based on the property description in the property records, as are the taxes. In other words, mom pays taxes on the property as defined in the property records, not based on where the wall is.

If the 1.5 feet are that important, the first thing to do is pay for your own survey. Until you have that, despite the markers, you are guessing where the boundaries are.

That's the best answer. Speaking as a licensed surveyor, I can say that none of us who are licensed surveyors would simply walk up on a mark in the ground and immediately pronounce it to be a property corner. The entire picture of the parcels in question would need to be investigated, researched, and checked out in the field just as starting points.

Occasionally, someone knows someone they think of as being a surveyor, but they are only a helper on a survey crew. Sometimes, when asked, are happy to share their "expertise" and render an opinion which they are not legally qualified to state. Not saying that is what happened here, just 'sayin'.;)

Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated.

Clarification - Since several commented on this I want to be clear, as stated in the first posting, "A surveyor confirmed the monument is accurate and does mark the property line". Also, I have the parcel map and even before the surveyor came out I confirmed distances between the existing monuments were accurate. It had been my hope that the survey would show the existing monuments were off by the 1.5 ft they are north of both the south and north walls (i.e. both PLs are shifted north of existing walls).

Takeaways From The Comments Received
  • Taxes are paid on the legally defined property so mom has not been paying taxes on the land outside the PL but inside the wall. Therefore there is no argument for adverse possession.
  • The legal property would not be changed if the wall got moved, but the pre-existing physical yard space will have been reduced.
  • The issue I raised about the proposed new wall requiring excavation over the PL was addressed by the comment to "seek an injunction to stop excavation". Is it correct that the neighbor can start a project that requires significant excavation over the property line without explicit permission? Based on the comment "seek an injunction" it seems the law allows for them to take deliberate action, in this case to dig 5 ft over the surveyor established PL and 5 ft deep, and then we would have to take legal actions to try and stop them. My goal is to handle the issue without getting a lawyer but also not to "roll over" and let them excavate over the PL and move the retaining wall that was built by the developer over 50 years ago. I had hoped there were laws or legal concepts I could use to push back rather than a simple "hey, we don't want this to happen" but so far it does not seem like there are any "tools" I can use other than getting an injunction. Any suggestions?

Is it correct that the neighbor can start a project that requires significant excavation over the property line without explicit permission?

The word "can" denotes the ability to do something. Not whether it's done rightly or wrongly. The answer to your question has to be yes.

OTOH, if you know when it's going to happen, you could attempt to get the injunction to prevent it.

Or, you can draw a line in the sand (so to speak) and stand out there to prevent trespassing on to the property.

it seems the law allows for them to take deliberate action, in this case to dig 5 ft over the surveyor established PL and 5 ft deep, and then we would have to take legal actions to try and stop them.

Or, seek monetary damages once the damage is done.

I had hoped there were laws or legal concepts I could use to push back rather than a simple "hey, we don't want this to happen" but so far it does not seem like there are any "tools" I can use other than getting an injunction. Any suggestions?

Well, you could try talking to the neighbor and his contractor about the potential damage to your Mom's property and see if there's a work around.

You haven't said anything about that.

Back