Neighbor videotaping me on my property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noseyneighbor

Someone please help!
This is a desperate situation which all started back in July of 2005 when we bought the property we have resided in for 6.5 years. We always chose to get a long with the neighbor because there is a right of way situation and he made us believe that it was his say if we crossed his property. As it turns out it is written clearly in the deed that we are to have uniterrrupted use. He chose to place a pole in the passageway after when we went away one weekend after taking possesion as to narrow or squeeze our use. We then told him we would get a Lawyer and fight him on this. He has since made more alterations and also placed several cameras around his property and one that we know of that faces our house and that we can visibly see from every one of our back windows as well as anywhere in our back yard. This has been very annoying to us because we know that he is watching our every move to the point where it is causing me emotional distress. It is very creepy knowing you can't do anything in your own back yard due to this Peeping Tom. We have not really spoken to him in the months that have passed but my husband and I have both flipped the bird into his cameras on several occasions from our property. Usually on the back porch or from our yard. We were trying to see if he would react and come out and say that he saw us doing this on his camera. Well he has admitted it our lawyer and he also filed "Harrasment charges" against myself stating no legitimate cause. I feel that there is legitimate cause and we have also proved his prying into our life with his use of the cameras. These gestures were always to the camera and no words or gestures have ever been made directly to him How can this be justified? I we can see the cameras from inside our house frome every back windo surely he can see us? Is this an invasion of privacy? Can I countersue for emotional distress and Harrasment by video as well? Sincerely, Strained homeowner

Noseyneighbor said:
Someone please help!
This is a desperate situation which all started back in July of 2005 when we bought the property we have resided in for 6.5 years. We always chose to get a long with the neighbor because there is a right of way situation and he made us believe that it was his say if we crossed his property. As it turns out it is written clearly in the deed that we are to have uniterrrupted use. He chose to place a pole in the passageway after when we went away one weekend after taking possesion as to narrow or squeeze our use. We then told him we would get a Lawyer and fight him on this. He has since made more alterations and also placed several cameras around his property and one that we know of that faces our house and that we can visibly see from every one of our back windows as well as anywhere in our back yard. This has been very annoying to us because we know that he is watching our every move to the point where it is causing me emotional distress. It is very creepy knowing you can't do anything in your own back yard due to this Peeping Tom. We have not really spoken to him in the months that have passed but my husband and I have both flipped the bird into his cameras on several occasions from our property. Usually on the back porch or from our yard. We were trying to see if he would react and come out and say that he saw us doing this on his camera. Well he has admitted it our lawyer and he also filed "Harrasment charges" against myself stating no legitimate cause. I feel that there is legitimate cause and we have also proved his prying into our life with his use of the cameras. These gestures were always to the camera and no words or gestures have ever been made directly to him How can this be justified? I we can see the cameras from inside our house frome every back windo surely he can see us? Is this an invasion of privacy? Can I countersue for emotional distress and Harrasment by video as well? Sincerely, Strained homeowner
What has your attorney advised you? Did he make you aware of any local laws or ordinances that might apply? Not all jurisdictions have "privacy" laws that you might think advisable although states are catching up with "peeping tom" laws due to the huge increase of high powered video cameras and also the potential for even greater abuse on the Internet. In the old days, there was a questionable claim of "trespass" when using equipment to perceive that which is not generally within the line of sight.

He advised us to plead not guilty, which we did and beat the citation. I was found not guilty. The neighbor of course still has the cameras so now we go to civil court. With crossed fingers the next judge will make him take them down. Thanks!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back