neighbor using police and town ordinances to harass my family.

T

Tammi123

Jurisdiction
New York
My neighbor has been harassing my family for close to 10years. She calls about the dog, my husband car hobby, kids, ect. She has even called in obscure town ordinances. She has antagonized my dog so she can get video of her barking at night. ( I have caught her twice.) We have never been issued a ticket or a summons. None the less she has gone to individual members of the town board and police dept. and demanded my husband be arrested.
It is to the point that the town is mad at us, and trying to remove our rights to basically be outside. I am at my whits end. Moving is not a option right now as I have 1 child still in high school. What can I do?

Seems like a civil discussion with the neighbor is about a decade overdue. I'd also make sure I was in compliance with any town ordinances.

A "town" can't be mad at you. If there are individuals in the town with whom you are having an issue, talk to them.

So, yes we have tried to mediate this with the neighbor. She then still calls the police for any noise we make. Yes the town can not be "mad" at us. But they are. They want to isssue us a special permit. That will restrict when my husband can work on his cars and when we can use our back yard. They are punishing us for her constant nagging at them. We are with in all ordinances. We have never been issued a summons. They are just tired of her and think this will stop her. It won't and I feel agreeing to a special permit is an admission of guilt. We really are not doing any thing against any codes, or going out of our way to annoy her.

Then take it up with the town counsel as she has done. Or, move. No reason your child would have to change schools if you stay within the district.

I guess my question is more, what can I do to get her to stop. What can I do make her stop. Is there any type of restraining order that can be issued? We love our home and our neighborhood. It is not ok to let a bully have this much power!

My neighbor has been harassing my family for close to 10years. She calls about the dog, my husband car hobby, kids, ect. She has even called in obscure town ordinances. She has antagonized my dog so she can get video of her barking at night. ( I have caught her twice.) We have never been issued a ticket or a summons. None the less she has gone to individual members of the town board and police dept. and demanded my husband be arrested.
It is to the point that the town is mad at us, and trying to remove our rights to basically be outside. I am at my whits end. Moving is not a option right now as I have 1 child still in high school. What can I do?

Your neighbor is very clever and powerful.

It might be time to ask how much money you can pay to have the pain stop.

my husband car hobby

That could be part of the problem. How does your husband engage in his car hobby and is your back yard surrounded by a block wall or opaque fence (can't be seen through)?

People are often blind to their own blight while it's disturbing to neighbors. Feel free to post a photo of your back yard so we have a better idea of what is happening.

Stop leaving your dog out overnight. Why would you do that?
I do not leave the dog out. We let her out right before bed and bring her back in about 5-10 minuets later. Usually the same time. My neighbor then antagonizes her, videos it and then goes to the Police and and the Town hall. We have caught her doing this twice, because we address the dog as soon as she barks.

Something like this, I suspect:
View attachment 1203
Thanks so much for your help. I assume you are trying to be funny. I really am about to have a break down from constant harassment by this woman. I posted here looking here for help. We are not trash, my husband's car hobby does not consist of crappy rot boxes. They are very nice classic cars that he has painstakingly restored to show quality.

my husband's car hobby does not consist of crappy rot boxes. They are very nice classic cars that he has painstakingly restored to show quality.

So are mine. I posted my old photo to illustrate how cars in the back yard can be offensive to neighbors no matter what kind of shape they are in if they can be seen through the fence or over the fence, especially if the neighbor is a lunatic.

This next photo is how I handle my car hobby these days(note block wall around the property). Do you have something like that in your back yard?

Anyway, years ago I had my own experience with lunatic neighbors. After 11 years I had to accept the fact that they would outlive and outlast me. So I sold out and moved.

If that's not in the cards for you, you might have to sic a lawyer on your lunatic.

Attachments

• PA270014a.jpg
    PA270014a.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 6
Anyway, years ago I had my own experience with lunatic neighbors. After 11 years I had to accept the fact that they would outlive and outlast me. So I sold out and moved.

Wise move, from a smart person, because the ONLY way you can fight a lunatic or a moron is to murder the lunatic.

Murder, however, is frowned upon by the legal system.

Moving is the best way to regain peace and serenity.

Back